Reply To: Lost mage looking for input on local cosmology…

Home Forums Discussion Forums Characters Lost mage looking for input on local cosmology… Reply To: Lost mage looking for input on local cosmology…

Rasbedian
  • Markshire PCs:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Sorry for the somewhat delayed reply, since the irony of my situation is that I tend to be much more busy on the weekends than on the weekdays… In either case, I guess if the “planar travel” dirigible won’t float off the ground I’d like to broaden my concept: end in all, I would be interesting in writing a series of entries in Kamas’s journal outlining a sort of fan fiction. The problem that I’m faced while doing so is the nature of his career path: wizardry. Perhaps my obstacle is my intention to stick to stereotypes, but I feel like a lot of the options where I could take a fanfiction fall outside of my pre-determined role for the character.

A story involving trial by combat, such as felling a crimson wyrm, seems to lie more within the realm of the fighter or the barbarian. I’d rather leave tales of self-discovery within the bounds of the wilderness for the likes of druids and rangers. A tale of high adventure? Seems much more fitting for a rogue than a scholar, and weaving epics is best left for those of the bardic profession. Other paths of devotion, such as those of clerics, monks, and paladins… if a great tale is to be told about their career paths, it would be one of great service to their patrons, whether that is a specific deity or simply the conquest of good over evil (or law over chaos, if thought drifts back to our fast-fisted friends). Sorcerers, even with their overtly similar nature to the wizard, are rather different… their power comes from their heritage, and they are not ones to flourish in the introverted world of an arcane library.

A wizard, on the other hand, is a scholar. In the fantasy genre, he seems to be the equivalent of a scientist, and to match his goals to run parallel with a soldier, scoundrel, or politician seems a disservice to his vows in the study of magic. His studies are often presented as their life goals: Tenser, Bigby, Leomund, Melf, and Otiluke… their nature as great wizards is most remembered by the discoveries that they left in their wake. Mordenkainen is just as synonymous with the Disjunction as Einstein is with E=mc^2. Whereas a great warrior’s heart would fill with glory at the moment he lifts a scarlet blade over his head, blood and sweat streaming down his arm as the broken body of an epic adversary lays at his feet, a wizard feels the same as he hoists up a scroll… one of the million crumpled papers around him… and shouts “Eureka!” (after which he inadvertently vanishes in a sickening squelch of arcane mass as his finely tuned theorem falters).

However, I hope the point I’m trying to make persists: I’d like my story about a great wizard to actually involve… well… wizardry, and not just as a tool to accomplish his goals, but as something that could offer honor to being his lifelong study. I don’t want to rewrite the way magic works. I don’t want to lay down the blueprints for the atomic bomb. Even if it happens to be the equivalent of a carrot dangled on a string in front of his face with no true discovery being made, I’m just hoping to find a hole where a hand can be thrust into the unknown and pulled back with a greater sense of self as a man on the path of science.

I feel that there is an innate difficulty in simulating an “in-game” discovery of a magical nature. While the Neverwinter engine has been proven tried and true in the concepts combat and dungeoncrawls, it offers little to imitate sitting in the midst of a vast library of texts and performing dozens if not hundreds of arcane experiments with subtle variations in ritual and components of each one… not to mention the countless hours spent in practice, research, meditation, and preparation. I have to admit defeat in not knowing how to actually cast spells myself, or in knowing how the Markshire-ian theory of magic works in general (although Kamas himself would obviously feel at home in its discussion).

The reason I brought up planar travel is because it (A.) can involve a ritual to perform with such length and complexity that it would only have impact in the fanfiction without interfering with the in-game world, (B.) can be an accidental discovery that may not have a readily available recipe for a repetition (see “carrot on a string”, above) but nevertheless provides a step big enough for a re-evaluation of previously accepted ‘norms’ as is typical of the scientific process, and (C.) a concept relatively new to the fluff of Markshire so that even the smallest new discovery can be considered worthwhile to the “arch”-iest of archmages (unlike, for example, discovering a new material spell component for a Fireball). End in all, though, I was hoping to have Kamas live up to his name has a great wizard and look a little farther than the giants onto whose shoulders he had to climb.

Too long; didn’t read: How may I reverse-engineer Hel’s laundry detergent?

Thanks for reading, once again!