Reply To: Portales Penmanship; Excerpts from an Illegible Epic

Home Forums Markshire’s Who’s Who PC Biographies Portales Penmanship; Excerpts from an Illegible Epic Reply To: Portales Penmanship; Excerpts from an Illegible Epic

Portales
  • Markshire PCs:

The Lion of the Pass

XV
In Foothold I met with Dustan, a well traveled Ranger, and Roman, a good priest,
They were preparing for a journey to the city of Bal’ynaz, heading out East.
Because they so enjoy my wit and my song, they asked me to go with them, to come along.
I had never traveled through the Thrym mountains, I hoped their trip I wouldn’t prolong.

I was a little nervous, until Roman told about the inhabitants; an unholy eight headed beast.
“The Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass!” and as he told me my heart rate greatly increased.
Dustan and Roman began laughing, thinking the tale was but fiction, they were wrong.
If there was no eight headed lion, I would make one, I pulled out my lyre and sang them this song;

I have traveled the vast lands of Markshire, many stories and legends I have come to amass,
But none as terrifyingly real and vile as the legend of the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

This tale is not for the feignt of heart, some of it’s quite graphic and maybe a little crass,
For it is a tale of a beast so hideous and ravenous, the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

We were three when we set out from the Foothold gates, three men and not one a lass,
Heading for the Dwarven City of Bal’ynaz, but very mindful of the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

My Party; Two eager uncouth warriors and I a humble poet and bard, added a touch of class.
As we set off on our journey hoping not to face the mysterious Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

Eyes watchful my companions drew their swords as we stepped through the last patches of grass,
We entered the snowy canyon that was known to be the home of the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

I carry no sword, my only weapon my lyre, I started to sing, my companion scolded, “Don’t be an ass!”
“You’re making too much noise and you’ll bring it upon us”, the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass .

My companions then berated me, even louder and louder they continued to harass.
That’s when I heard it, snarling in the middle of the road, the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

A heinous creature with eight hungry salivating lion heads, it’s body a giant hairy mass,
Without even thinking my companions charged the great beast, the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

Biting and roaring, the beast ate my companions as it shattered their weapons like glass,
The eight heads fighting over each bite, the shaggy heads of the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

And so I stood alone before the eight lion heads, I bothered to ask, “Any chance I may I pass?”
“No you may not, only two of us ate, we aren’t full yet” replied the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

“Oh mighty lion with six hungry heads I’m just a small gnome not much of a meal alas,
I’ll only be food for one your mouths, which is the mightiest?” I asked the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

The heads started to argue then began biting and eating each other, and so with a little sass,
I was able to escape, as it battled itself, from the bloody and half-eaten Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

I made it back to Foothold without a scratch and wrote this very song, for all other tales it will surpass,
Cunning, not swords, slayed the beast, ask my companions in the belly of the Eight Headed Lion of Thrym Pass.

*All script is hastily scrawled in an illegible (and incredibly lazy) handwriting (if you can call it that).