Reply To: Graphics/Spawn errors

Home Forums Discussion Forums Bug Reporting Graphics/Spawn errors Reply To: Graphics/Spawn errors

• Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

The spawning issue is Script Lag. There is no cure. The system simply hasn’t reset the area yet and won’t spawn until the script fires.

Script Lag is when the variety of scripts on the server start to skip command lines from lag. Lag can come from many things including server log size, number of players online, general Internet lag, and much, much more.

Areas are “cleaned” when players have been gone from the area for more then 300 seconds plus a random number. Re-entering and leaving prior to the timer ending has no effect on it. So your best bet is to simply leave until 6 minutes have passed. Go to the bazaar or any one of the areas off of Foothold.

This spawning error is minimized with resets and minimal Foothold traffic. We address this in MS2 by moving more of the key NPCs out of the open area and building better systems. Unfortunately, I can code till I am old and grey and not eliminate script lag in MS1. There are a ton of BioWare created scripts that cause lag and several of mine are still intensive.

If we leave the NPCs there all the time THEY create lag and cause worse issues elsewhere. Catch 22.

On to the Invisible Stalkers of the game. This is a rendering issue with NWN1. It has never been addressed because it’s a multiplayer issue and BioWare never cared to check on it. I checked 1.69 and that doesn’t address it either. Basically, the rendering engine (Aurora) skips a beat on spawned creatures when YOU are experiencing lag.

The best thing to resolve this from your end … Update your graphic drivers. Update your sound drivers. Get a meatier graphics card and/or sound card. Sound cards are a HUGE benefit for individual player lag. Of course, additional RAM will benefit you as well.

Here’s part of what we’ve done on our end to minimize lag…

• Valhalla has 2 gigabytes of Ram
  • Valhalla is back on a fiber optic network with stupid high throughput and incredibly low ping
  • We typically reset the server daily (M-F around 9am; Sat & Sun as available)
  • We reset the server log when it reaches 1 MB or more.
  • We maintain 3 times the Module size in virtual memory allocated specifically to NWServer.exe
  • I spent nearly 400 hours on script cleanup and fine tuning to prevent lag
  • We purposefully maintained a minimal module size compared to many other PWs to stay inline with BioWare’s recommended module size of 50mb. Ours creeped up to 65mb. I’ve played on servers that were 5-10 times ours in size.

Any recommendations beyond the above can be forwarded to me via PM.