And the worst arrives…

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? And the worst arrives…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Monty June 18, 2008 at 3:43 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

The sandbagging has been called off… This is in Coralville, Iowa which is adjacent to Iowa City, Iowa. I did most of my bagging on the University of Iowa campus but have not made it over to campus to see the devastation.

Here is also a link to many pictures of the Iowa City and University campus. I want to cry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uinews/with/2582741414/

Here is another link to our city newspaper, they have photos from every day the past week. Amazing the power of water, especially when seen first hand.

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

[img][480:500]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x188/muddy_iowa/flood%20pics/IMG_1131.jpg[/img]

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

You have Photo evidence that Sonics resturants DO exist. I Thought it was just some joke. 15 years I have seen commercials here in Washington state, Glendale, Arizona, and Alaska…But, never have I actually seen one physiclly, ever, anywhere. IT took a flood for one to be unearthed..

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

One in Vegas too Opi, i’ve been to it.

Amazing that fluid dynamics. Maybe we as a nation will start upgrading our infrastructure. We kind of need to.

Muddy the devastation is great but my only consolation to you is at least buildings can be rebuilt. The death toll from this seems to be pretty low. And unlike N.O. I am pretty sure the people of Iowa will bounce back from this pretty well.

– mule

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

Dude, we bounce back from anything.

And you’re right as far as being a low death toll, two thus far I think. What I’m worried about is that as the water receedes they’ll start finding dead people in their houses that were too stubborn to leave as the water came up. Natural selection?

Side note: I did manage to watch a nation wide news show and the three people they pulled out of an attic were about as red neck as they come. I thought that only southern states had 3 toothed hill billies all living together with their dog, I was wrong. About as crazy as the old lady they rescued who has over 20 cats with her.

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Hey now, not so fast… water can rise without warning. Even in the New Orlenes incident and locally around here, are suprised to see suddenly they are in a flood plane.

A new residential neighbor hood caused the existing neighborhood to become its flood plane and now when the creek floods it doesn’t just run through a yard and down the road, the run off from the hill dump all on them and one house was completely engulfed in 3hrs.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Methinks someone has experience with thisOpinvu!

anyway, I have no problem with natural selection, and he did mention the case where the people were stubbornly staying in their house because they were too stubborn to leave when warned.

Anyway, now’s to the draining, and the prices of corn going up.

– mule

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

Not to mention soybeans.

My co worker was “fortunate” enough to go sample inside one of the houses… he said it was the worst conditions he’s ever seen. Inches of mud over everything and the stagnant water stuck in the basement was deplorable.

Yah, when the people watching the rise of the water tell you go “GIT” you damn well better GIT. Good eye mule, thanks.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Man, when they called you “Muddy”, they weren’t kidding! 😉 Seriously, I hope you and the family are ok, and doing well. I hear that the water is at least starting to recede out there. Looks like you’ll be busy sampling for a while….

M3C

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.