Atari Buyout

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Atari Buyout

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Thrym Thrym October 20, 2008 at 3:58 pm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Atari Buyout:

The latest developments in the ongoing saga of the troubled United States game publisher Atari,Inc, the stateside branch of the Atari brand. Parent company Infogrames has finalized their $11 millon bid and now has full ownership of the company. Here’s a rundown:

The French company, which earlier this year surprised many by appointing former EA executive David Gardner as CEO and former Sony Worldwide Studios boss Phil Harrison as president, can now definitively unite the Atari brand, the use of which Infogrames has had the right to in Europe and other parts of the world for some time.

Lyon-based Infogrames previously owned 51.4 per cent of Atari Inc’s stock and the merger, initially agreed on April 30 this year, completed on a base price of USD 1.68 per outstanding share.

Atari Inc’s former management team of Jim Wilson, Tim Flynn and Jeff Reese will remain with the company to focus on growing the historically-troubled Atari brand in North America under Gardner’s new vision.

Infogrames also outlined the strategy that the combined company will follow moving forwards under its new “simplified global structure”:

1) Reduce general and administrative expenses, including costs related to being a US public company, and generate economies of scale

2) Provide greater opportunities to develop the US distribution business and find new partnerships

3) Strengthen the US online platform to develop online operations.

Hopefully this won’t be a problem for the NWN2 series, and in fact may be a good thing. Only time will tell.

Peace,
    Cor

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

Atari… yeah.

It may be time to dig through mom and dad’s attic and retrieve that 2600 for some old skool pli-zaying.

Werd to the frogger.

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Heh, just a couple months ago I met up with all my high school buddies and one guy still had his Commodore 64, so we fired that sucker up, it worked, and we almost played Mail Order Monsters, but the frigging joystick wouldn’t move down. Pretty impressive Canadian engineering though.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

2) Provide greater opportunities to develop the US distribution business and find new partnerships

3) Strengthen the US online platform to develop online operations.

If they do follow that strategy, perhaps they will embrace the online gamer to a greater extent. If you look past the initial rush of sales for the OC, that is what really drives sales of the boxes. PW’s always are on the cutting edge, and use the latest releases and add-ons, which means that every player on the world uses them. To me, that’s guaranteed sales, if you have the smarts to support the market, and listen to the PW operators.
    Also, they should loosen up the restrictions on sales of game-related products. Perhaps have a licensing agreement that one can sign up for, and submit content to Atari. If it’s included, you get an (albeit small) piece of the action. Again, drives sales and user to the game, rather than from it, and gives a sense of being part of the team to the contributors.
    Just my $0.02 – 🙂

M3C

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Don’t forget there is still emulators out there…..

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/a2600/

Play Atari on your PC!

Well, the name of the company hasn’t changed, the company has since the 2600 days. Maybe they just need me on board, that will boost their sales.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

I still have a working atari in a box in my basement. Got some classic games in their too, like Adventure. When I was a kid there was nothing more satisfying than a little yellow square slaying a dragon. Just watch out for those pesky bats, they’ll steal your keys to the castles.

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Brought to you by IGN. Tons of emulators are stored on here.

Enjoy.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

not sure how I feel about this. Quite frankly I haven’t been impressed with their handling of the NWN franchise so maybe this will be a good thing. As has been said, time will tell.

– mule

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

As I have told Monty, Atari has been FUBAR’d for sometime.

The financial status of the company has been slowly slipping into oblivion.

Their lack of management with the NWN franchise is simply based on their need for cash. They focus on what drives dollars and ignore the fact that WE should be the sales focus. Multiplayer is what made the game famous.

With Infogrames behind the wheel now, hopefully, the company will figure this out. I wouldn’t expect immediate change. However, once Storm of Zehir is released I would expect a different emphasis from the publisher.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.