Cadair Idris: The character, the mountain and the legends

Home Forums Discussion Forums Characters Cadair Idris: The character, the mountain and the legends

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brindisium
    • Markshire PCs:

Cadair Idris

I dont really know why I feel the need to explain this to you all, but I do … Markshire does that to me.

I started a new character recently (a monk) and not really knowing why named him after a mountain in Wales (where my family comes from). It turns out that Cadair Idris means “the chair of Idris”, a reference to a giant in Welsh mythology – and the resemblance of one of the mountain’s cwms, Cwm Cau, to an enormous armchair. For the record Cadair is pronounced Ka-der by the locals.

Cadair Idris is imbued with numerous legends; some nearby lakes are supposed to be bottomless, and anyone who sleeps on its slopes will supposedly awaken either a madman or a poet. Cadair Idris is also said to be the hunting ground of Gwyn ap Nudd and his Cŵn Annwn. The howling of these huge dogs foretold death to anyone who heard them, the pack sweeping up that person’s soul and herding it into the underworld.

Somehow it just feels so Markshirian it’s spooky.

Anyway I wanted to get that out of my system. I hope it is of interest to you folks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadair_Idris
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_mythology

Idris Gawr, King of Meirionydd
    (c.560-632)
    (Latin: Idrus; English: Ider)

One of the later Kings of Meirionydd, Idris ap Gwyddno, is remembered today by the great mountain of Cadair Idris – “Idris’ Chair” – that dominates Meirionydd. Idris the Giant was said to have been so large that he could sit upon this mountain and survey his kingdom, though his real epithet may have been Arw (the Coarse). The story may derive from Idris having retired to a small hermitage on the mountain. His grave, Gwely Idris, is also said to lie up there. He must have re-entered secular life before his death, however, as Idris was killed fighting King Oswald of Northumbria on the Severn in 632.

[img][650:500]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Penygadair._from_Pony_pathJPG.jpg[/img]

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Man, that picture looks like somewhere the Cona mountains. I can feel the freezing wind whipping by.

Thanks for that, the whole story behind it does feel so Markshirian.

But now, I have to ask, who in Hel decided how to apply Latin alphabet to Welsh? 😀
    @Brindisium wrote:

…Cŵn Annwn.

Vowels please! Unless ‘w’ is actually a vowel.

Overall, it reminds me of the gibberish Gaelic my mother in law is always spouting.

LT

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

Hey, don’t dis the language of the Old Country, LT! 😉

And nice finds, Brindisium…Mythology is consistently inspirational; it’s one of the things I look to when I need a little creative rejuvenation. That photo is simply gorgeous, as well.

Best of luck with the monk!

Brindisium
    • Markshire PCs:

Thanks LT, s-m-r glad you liked the mythology.

Vowels please! Unless ‘w’ is actually a vowel.

And uhm …. welcome to the Welsh Language 😉

THE WELSH ALPHABET: (28 letters)

A, B ,C ,Ch, D, Dd, E, F, Ff, G, Ng, H, I, L
    Ll, M, N, O, P, Ph, R, Rh, S, T, Th, U, W, Y

THE VOWELS: (A, E, I, U, O, W, Y)

http://www.britannia.com/celtic/wales/language.html

I think I’ll give Cadair a welsh greeting for you LT: Cyfarchion cynnes (Warm greetings) friend. 🙂

Hehe

vlan2k
    • Markshire PCs:

Uh huh… prolly means “Yer mutha” in Welsh.

vlan2k
    • Markshire PCs:

Very good. I look forward to reading the bio postings….

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Hey B, that site was quite informative.

And it proves it’s all gibberish. 😛

Dd is pronounced like the English th in the words seethe or them. Welsh words: bydd (beethe); sydd (seethe); ddofon (thovon); ffyddlon (futh lon)

Th is like the English th in words such as think, forth, thank. Welsh words: gwaith (gwithe); byth (beeth)

F as in the English V. Welsh words: afon (avon); fi (vee); fydd (veethe); hyfryd (huvrid); fawr (vowr), fach (vach)

Ff as in the English f. Welsh words: ffynnon (funon); ffyrdd (furth); ffaith (fithe)

Like I said though, Gaelic’s the same thing. This of course coming from someone whose British Isles heritage is all either English (mostly, lesser Scot). Needless to say, when my wife and I visited her grandmothers in Ireland we didn’t mention that. Good thing since one of them was ranting about the “English Devils!”

Mum’s the word, I say!

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

The howling of these huge dogs foretold death to anyone who heard them, the pack sweeping up that person’s soul and herding it into the underworld.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Little bits of stuuf from players makes it’s way into the mod as we can. A player several months back pointed out the Runes that Odin learned during his time on the World Tree. I enjoyed the information so much we put the runes in game.

Brindisium
    • Markshire PCs:

Thanks vlan, BTP. I will see if I can work something of this into Cadair’s background – in a way that fits MS lore. Please do let me know if you have any suggestions!

LT, sadly I have to agree with you 🙂

Invocation of Gwyn Ap Nudd

Great Lord, hear these the words of your Priest.

I call to you, Horned one, guardian of the dark portals,
    Ruler of spirit, ruler of Annwyn, Lord of death and resurrection.
    Hear the call of your wild children, waiting for you to unite them
    Lord and Master of the Wild Hunt!

Ready to ride forth across the decaying and barren wastelands
    As the wheel of the year moves into its darkest aspect
    Ride through the bones and the ruins and the rivers of blood and tears
    Cleanse the land with your touch – as winter begins anew

Hear my cry through the mists, through the void
    Watcher in the shadows – who stands with one foot upon the earth
    And one foot within the dread domains of the underworld

Hear my words, step forth into our circle, honour us with your presence
    Let us glimpse your form beneath the full moon on this most wondrous of nights,
    Beams dancing from your antlered brow

Tear down the veil between our worlds, let us become one with the realm of spirit
    Let us commune with those who have passed through on that journey before us
    Let us look upon they fearsome countenance

Though our heart may skip a beat and the blood freeze in our veins
    Allow us to sit at your feet,
    glimpse whispers of the future and impart your wisdom of the aeons

Great Gwynn Ap Nudd – you who are the beginning and the end
    Life, death, blood and breath
    By the wind swept land and moon drenched sea
    By standing stone and blasted tree
    By the flame upon your brow that burns bright
    I call thee to dance with us through the night
    Hear the voice of your Priest at this time of Samhain

Join us!
    Gywnn Ap Nudd!
    Gwynn Ap Nudd!
    Gwynn Ap Nudd!

Hail!

vlan2k
    • Markshire PCs:

Horny little bastard….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.