Dougal "Doog" Fahrnshell [Lt Tyler]

Home Forums DM Forums PC Storylines Dougal "Doog" Fahrnshell [Lt Tyler]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

@Lt. Tyler wrote:

Bonesy,

I’ve been thinking about where to take Doog lately, and I thought that I would throw out some thoughts and see what you DM folk think.

After earlier posting about Doog on the Characters subforum, I really liked s-m-r’s suggestion about how Doog may have had a past where he was not so crazy as he currently is. I sort of ran with that, as evidenced in Doog’s biography post. So here’s the general outline of Doog’s past, and some thoughts about his future.

Dougal was a member of the Clan An’zakathia, which was a small clan, occupying a mountain valley with underground living quarters in the mountain itself. In fact, he was actually a dwarven defender in the clan, one fairly high up in station amongst the warrior corps.

The An’zakathia clan came into conflict with a nearby dwarven clan, over the rights to use the valley and the ground underneath it. A series of small skirmishes and troop maneuvers occurred between the clans (more like a chess match rather than real bloodshed). An’zakathia gained the upper hand, with Dougal’s guidance, and forced the other clan (hmm…they need a real name eh?) to agree to a treaty to settle the dispute.

Now Dougal, being an honorable dwarf and a defender at that, could not conceive of what came next. The other clan, being run by an evil and twisted dwarf, had treachery on his mind. At the signing of the treaty, this dwarf hired an elven necromancer to raise a small undead army and overwhelm the An’zakathian contingent.

They did so, and Dougal went down with his head wound. He lost his ancestral axe, that of his many forefathers. When he came to, he was not in his right mind, he also lost much of his previous knowledge and training (hence, restart at level 1). Instead, all of the feelings of failure and the horror at another dwarven clan’s treachery caused a psychic break, and at times that emerges as Doog’s rage (barbarian!).

Ok, that’s the background. THere are more biography posts I’ve got sketched out, which will flesh this out. The post covering the actual details of the battle and treachery won’t come until after Doog recovers his sanity. I don’t want to spoil it for people.

Now, what am I envisioning for Doog?

Well, I’d like Doog to recover his sanity. Mechanically, one part of this I’ve been planning on is putting an ability increase into intelligence. Doog’s is currently 9, which isn’t bad, but not all of Doog’s problems after his defeat are just loss of intelligence. Other than that though, I think it’s something for Doog to discover over time, maybe requiring some effort on his part.

Furthermore, I’d like to start Doog down the path of recovering his dwarven defender status. Since Doog is currently chaotic good, this would need to move towards LG. Now honor is a big thing with Doog, which he made a point of talking about with Aelswith and Vru+Nordbert at Kyle’s whippin’. I sort of conceive of dwarven defenders as being quasi samurai like, with dwarven society somewhat analogous to feudal Japanese culture: e.g. largely closed to outsiders, culturally elitist, strong emphasis on the common good over personal freedoms. Still Dougal strongly values ‘good’ ideals, and not simply the code of honor for it’s own sake. That makes him LG in my mind, not LN. But stress on the L. 🙂

The next biography post will cover more of this as well. Perhaps a gradual alignment shift is the way to go (e.g. CG -> NG -> LG), or whether recovering Doog’s former personality would shift it in one fell swoop. That’s obviously something for the DM crew to decide.

And, assuming he’s accepted for the PrC, I don’t necessarily expect that Doog could instantly take DD levels immediately after recovering his sanity, so if he needs to go and relearn/train/discover things that’s another DM call of course (he could always take some fighter levels). I have two more feats to take before even qualifying for DD anyway so there is plenty of time (Doog is currently 8th level, and I need toughness and dodge). Finally, I wouldn’t use the barbarin rage any longer, except maybe with fights against undead. Doog’s not going to return completely to his old self, having been so strongly affected by his headwound and all the experiences that have gone, and will go, along with it. But, it may be that only the sight of undead, with the memories it would elicit, would be sufficient to generate the rage.

Well anyway, enough of my babbling. Just throwing things out there.

I only have one more thing to say….

Here it comes…..

Are you ready?…..

DOOG!

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

I stopped skimming at the “Doog recover his sanity” part….
    *sigh*

*mopes away from thread*

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Good point.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

I do remember Doog saying some things during Kyle’s beating though.. good stuff. Told him he was an embarassment to his clan for crying out .. a couple times iirc *thumbsup* . I dun have a problem with his path to sanity angle, or the becoming lawful bit. I’ll just miss the hard charging DOOOOOG.

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

To play devil’s advocate, he’s simply looking for some character evolution. Maybe even a narrative journey for his character. That, in itself, is not a bad thing.

All that said, I really enjoy Doog’s moments of infrequent lucidity, when he spouts off dwarven truisms of law and warfare. That, juxtaposed with the mentally-disabled “regular” nature of Doog makes him a unique addition to the character pool here.

As incredibly rich as it is already, would you like to be stuck in the same character concept forever? I don’t think anyone does. To ask a player to do that, particularly when they want to evolve in a new direction, seems unfair.

Does that mean that every player receives what they demand? Of course not. In this particular instance, however, a player is asking for a roleplaying additive, and not a weapon or suit of armour or some widget, as per usual.

We can make this work. It’ll take more work than the usual character, but it can still happen. Let’s think about it before we’re completely disappointed… 🙂

Anybody ever hear the Iron Sheik speak in public? Dougal is, in many instances, strikingly similar…Look up some of that stuff on YouTube and prepare to have your mind blown.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

I think the character evolution is good. I’ll miss the DOOOG!!! too however it’s his char. I do think this should take several steps, especially the going from chaotic to lawful.

– mule

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, maybe we could just suggest to him more alternatives. Instead of regaining sanity as normal as it could be, Doog actually becomes another personality. He can transform it to another sane insanity. The new personality is more OCD or an anal clean freak that has angoraphobia thinking the clouds are going to come back and crush him. They being the reason he is short and dwarf-like.

But, I have to agree with SMR here. We already ruined Father Tan with the curse. Curses seem to do that. Like mine with Cuz’s female PC. I haven’t seen much activity, and yet he has an easy way out if he so chooses. To force their direction just takes them to the shelf sooner. Adding blinders to their CDS to narrow is the same thing.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Possibly helpful info.

@Lt. Tyler wrote:

BTP,

Because there’s no dwarven->common translator ability, and because Doog often peppers his speech with dwarven words without using teh DMFI function, I was thinking that it might help you and the DM crew if I did some translating.

Warning, this is an emergency use of the LT Geek Out System. This is not a test.

First, I made up a case structure for dwarven, that DOog often applies to common words. Case structure as where the form of the noun changes depending on the words use in the sentence (think Latin or German)

In a sentence like: Doog gave Durok’s axe to Stump,

then Doog would say: Doog gave axe-non Durok-gan Stump-ja. Though in game I prolly wouldn’t say this, cause everyone would be WTF?

But the direct object axe gets -non on it, the possessive Durok’s becomes Durok-gan, etc. Of course sometimes I as the player forget, or screw up. Blame it on Doog though.

Next, here are some common phrases that Doog uses and their translations:

lurllaz - momma
    azqa - axe (work azqa-gan is what Doog likes to call practicing with his axe)
    urkha - ogre
    urhzi - orc
    kaazrk - giant
    tzhazhwa - dwarf
    tzhazhwapohurk'ah -dwarfbrother

The plural for all these adds -th on the end.

Lastly, here are some of the dwarven phrases I’ve used in Doog’s bio. I figure at least somebody other than me should understand them!

cavernhome: ziazgahr'urla
    squire: thk'aha
    Ritual of the Morning: hak'azn lurhrark-gan
    zinazr 'urrurh: clan honor
    tawaartahth: defenders
    kur k'a art: to the end.
    thurr urwa: son of
    khaazk-khazrtwaazk'ah: great-grandfather
    zhurhg azqa-gan: work of the axe
    tagurkat urwa Odin: devoted of Odin
    mule
    • Markshire PCs:

he is such a geek.. heh.. well good to know, now I can translate when he’s all slurring his zz’s

– mule

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

Dougal and Tarl’nesh were approached by a dwarven skeleton, who charged them with defeating the ‘defilers’ of its tomb. Straight-forward traipse into Thrym Pass, where some bugbears had uncovered a dwarven menhir, and fiddled about inside. After they defeated the bugbears, the two of them were granted access to the dwarf skeleton’s horde, and they successfully sealed the tomb for the foreseeable future by causing a rock-slide at its entrance. Both dwarves walked away with a little something as a token of appreciation, including Umbauch’s Devotion for Dougal, and some Mangled Mithril and cash for Tarl’nesh.

They beat the crap out of a bunch of bugbears, too. 😀

Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

@Lt. Tyler wrote:

1. Player ID: Lt. Tyler

2. Character Name: Dougal Fahrnshell

3. PrC sought: Dwarven Defender

4. Why you think your character fits into or deserves the PrC sought.
    Well, this is developing, but Doog is big into two things that I believe DwD exemplify:

First, the adherence to a strict code of honor, in this case the importance of clan honor. And the entire system of clan honor feeds into the defense of the clan, as behavior that endangers the clan is looked upon as something dishonorable. I’m working on conveying this both in RP with other people, and in Doog’s bio. Part of this I also look upon as important with respect to Doog’s required switch from chaotic to lawful alignment, which is soon to be the only remaining mechanical requirement for taking dwarven defender levels.

Secondly, DwDs actively work on defending something, and in this case Doog has adopted Foothold at he object of his efforts (considering that he doesn’t remember where his old clan was, and in fact doesn’t always remember that there was an old clan- when he does remember, it causes him great pain). Towards this end he has stood on the wall and patrolled around Foothold, worked on clearing Thrym Pass of as many urkhath and kaazrkth as possible, and donates weapons, armors, skins in the Temple to Odin. Also he’s given a large amount of coin at the temple, some of which he hopes will in some way contribute to Foothold’s safety.

5. Describe an event that defines the way your character fits into the PrC’s parameters. With respect to the honor aspect of the class, during Kyle’s whipping Doog defended the rightness of the overall judgement against Panitha and Aelswith’s arguments, and then exorted Kyle to accept his punishment with strength.

As for the defense and commitment to Foothold, there isn’t really a single event relating to this. Of course he did stand against Brak and the baddies when they last made a pitstop in FH, but he didn’t stand for long (I suppose you could say that he readily sacrificed himself for FH there, he didn’t run). Doog also did give Voran’s character Silas a hard time about not doing anything to defend Foothold, and told Raven once that the only Captain in Foothold was Hillar.

6. Name two people (staff or player) that would agree with your assessment and back your concept. Well, I think Brak would likely back Doog’s sense of honor and discipline (he and DOog make a fun little combo). Mule was also there during Kyle’s whipping, and Doog, Vru and Norbert have done some traveling together. Still though, I have more about defending Foothold that I want to convey with Doog.

Overall, I realize this is just a start and I’m hoping to get some guidance from you all about how to get Doog towards DwD.

Thanks!

LT

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

If he is lawful now, I say yes. He has been RP’ing Doog with an effort towards a code of honor and defending Foothold.

– mule

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

He has not just thought he was being good enough for the class, he actively tried to make it a goal and asked for help with it. I say yes.

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Aye.

Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

Aye

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

I’ve been fascinated by Doog ever since LT started working on his backstory; it works great within the Dwarven Defender concept. I vote aye.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Gave him the OK in game.

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Sheesh, what a buncha whiners!

😉

No worries, no worries….you might get back Dougal’s sanity, but you’ll never lose[*] the:

DOOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

* – again, interested parties please note proper usage

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

lol just reading these threads now? hah Oh if you want some real good reading find some of the more controversial player/characters 😛

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, it took me reading a bunch of bios before I realized it wasn’t verboten to read your own PCs threads. Not that I wasn’t tempted to beforehand, cause I was.

overall i read lots of the pc threads they were all great but wow i can think of one that really stands out mostly from one pm sent that was just a huge friggen run on sentence about slutty dressed angelic katana wielding pc and thats great lol hope see him in game soon so i can BRING THE PAIN!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.