- December 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm #33289
We don’t need your stinking Spy of Games
With the advent of GameSpy being taken down someone has come up with a patch for the games that allows you to use a new master service.
!!! USE AT OWN RISK – BACKUP YOUR FILES FIRST !!!
NWNCore Mastering Service:
Simple application to patch Windows nwmain.exe and nwserver.exe applications to use the NWNCore mastering / matchmaking service.
Please note that you need .NET 4 installed before using this patch. Many games already require .NET 4 and the .NET service is not cross compatible between versions so if you have 3 or 4.5 they won’t work. The link on the vault leads you to the correct version.
If you have any questions there are links and options on the Vault. I have yet to do this. If I do check it out, I’ll update this post. If you do check it out, please post about the experience.
This would require me patching the stand-alone server on Valhalla for Markshire to show up. If the service seems sound, then I will look into it.December 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm #58660
The powers involved in this effort to create new master server lists have begun efforts to communicate and create a single effort.
The NWNCore system listed above has had the files removed.
There are also non-patching methods coming forward according to Bioware forum posts.
I wouldn’t move on this just yet. Direct Connecting still works just fine.
I’ll see if there’s more on this later this week.May 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm #58659
Down with GameSpy … after a quick check I’ve found that there is a fix for the lack of GameSpy. Two separate angles in fact.
First, NWNCX … the guys behind the database extension for the server-side … has been created for players. This “patch” does the following:
For the player, it does a few very noticeable things:
• removes the long wait for the (non-functional) Master Server to time out
• unlocks the game’s camera angle limitation (so you can do things like look straight up to see more of the game)
• makes it possible to see new weapon visual effects, beam effects, and “skin” effects (like with barkskin) in-game
• opens the possibility for open-face helms (custom content creators needed for this)
• gives DMs the ability to use “instant feats” while possessing an NPC
• restores multiplayer server listing in-game (using data from Skywing’s replacement listing server) (admin info)
There are two ways to use this software:
- You can run the provided NWNCX_Loader.exe file instead of NWMain.exe. This app runs the NWMain.exe but with the patches in the folder.
- You can alternatively “patch” the NWMain.exe. This was fairly easy to do. I installed it with the camera angle unlock patch. Follow the instructions provided. Remember, this is at your own risk.
When you log in to the game with the alternate loader or with the patch, you won’t get the Master Player wait screen, you will see the old GameSpy screen but it will be filled with new information. Some of it is no longer useful, as the ping for all servers is 75, but the servers are listed by category and the history and favorites work.
I did the patch on my work computer’s install and everything seems fine so far.
Secondly, the new server list is made available online at http://www.nwnlist.com/. It works for any server that has added the proper codes to their computer server. This overrides the GameSpy information and sends it to NWNList instead. Markshire is now listed on the new system.
So there you have it. Enjoy.May 9, 2013 at 6:06 pm #58658CeorlasParticipant
- Markshire PCs:
Been using NWNCX-loader since Tuesday 7th. Markshire is listed, goes onto History and Favourites no problem.
Easy to use, good results.
NB: the 2da files in a separate folder are for module builders/customisers. Not needed for a install.May 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm #58657MontyParticipant
- Markshire PCs:
WOOT!! I’m getting it ASAP!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.