House of Bizarro Ideas

Home Forums Discussion Forums Out of Game House of Bizarro Ideas

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

**Disclaimer**I thought that I would present some off the wall ideas, since I am always having them. I am not suggesting that any of these ideas be implemented or that there is anything wrong with Markshire. I am merely presenting some unusual thoughts to generate some discussion. Some of these ideas are the rantings of a lunatic and wouldn’t make sense for any DnD server, while others are ideas that build on the work of others in the community.

Banning Arcane Magic

Has anyone every brought up banning arcane magic on the server? I know that it is forbidden in most cities and treated with great suspision in others, but wouldn’t it create a more realistic (by realistic I mean closer to the actual norse setting) game world. In mythology magic granted to shamans or clerics from the gods would be much more commonplace than a wizards or sorcerers. For those of you that are thinking it, I am aware that MS is a Norse type setting and not necessarily a retelling of the actual history.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

Everyone is a barbarian

It seems to me that in Norse mythology (and I am no expert) barbarians are the dominant class, yet in MS there are very few (I can think of 3) barbarian PC’s that have consistantly played on this server over the last year. Being that a number of PC human come from small villages or towns, what if every PC human (that wasn’t from the large city) had to take one level of barbarian. I realize that barbarians, in my opinion, are the weakest of the Dnd classes. They have no AC and there damage resistance abilities do not make up for their lack of heavy armor. They tend to get killed fairly easily (ask Sar), but it would be nice to see more barbarians running around, making the world more chaotic.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

City of Chaos

There is a city for the evil PC’s, called the Ivory Spire. Two cities of law and order Foothold and and Stonemark. Two more cities which could be considered nuetral, though they lean more towards Law Cona and Yar. And Finally Bal’ynaz a LN city, where most are welcome, under the watchful eye of the dwarven military. What if there was a city where chaos ruled. I don’t mean chaos like Gastlinyk Gate, where the place has been demolished and monsters run amuk. I mean a place where there’s no guards, no law. Where barbarians and thieves rule. Where you can fight in the street and steal from the merchants (who had allready stolen all of his merchandise). A place where you can get drunk and pass out in the snow or speak out against the mark and noone cares. I am thinking something along the lines of a pirate port or barbarian camp.

Most PC’s spend alot of time in FH, which has turned into a police state, not unlike Stonemark. There are guards everywhere, and people are getting their hands cut off and sentenced to hard labor in the Cona mines. The axis of Markshire is law vs chaos. While the monsters, giants and trolls can represent chaos, it is much harder for a PC to embody chaos unless they are evil. Even Captain chaos himself, Sar Khan, was forced to abide by FH laws and nearly got his hand chopped off. In the city of chaos there would be no laws and you could do whatever you want.

I know the Laatneer district in stonemark has a chaotic feel to it, but it is a completely underused area, and most people have probly rarely explored it.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, the banning of magic would be a problem for Monty – I mean me, but the idea that really struck me was a city of chaos. That’s a very interesting concept, and one that could and should be explored further. Perhaps an encampment, with tents and few buildings that the FH merchants trade from to get some of their goods, especially furs and whatnot.
    I will say that in a way, FH was forced to be a police state, because of the ever-present threat from Thrym and his minions, but perhaps something in the Northern Plains?
    BTP, any ideas along those lines?

🙂

M3C

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

More Gods

Markshire has a great pantheon of diverse dieties. There are many other gods in the actual Norse Pantheon, some have very little information about them, others have quite a bit out there. Particularly the gods/goddesses of day, night, dawn, sun, and moon. Another particularly interesting god is Vali, god of revenge, and son of odin, who might make a good addition to the evil gods as there are not that many. I came accross this info while looking for a god that may be worshipped by a necromancer or cleric who uses necromancy. There is also the wolf Fenrir, who is Hel’s brother and son of Loki. While he is mentioned in the Markshire Mythology, he could be considered a god, and worshipped accordingly. Jörmungandr, the sea serpent is another of Loki’s children, that could be considered an evil god. If anyone is interested in more info on any of these guys, I am willing to look it up and come up with a bio, alignment and domains for them.

Here’s a few I dug up off of wikipedia:

Bragi – God of poetry
    Dagr – God of the daytime, son of Delling and Nótt.
    Delling – God of dawn and father of Dagr by Nótt.
    Eir – Goddess of healing.
    Gefjun – Goddess of fertility and plough.
    Hœnir – The silent god.
    Iðunn – Goddess of youth. Consort: Bragi.
    Kvasir – God of inspiration.
    Lofn – Goddess of love.
    Máni – God of Moon.
    Nótt – Goddess of night
    Snotra – Goddess of prudence.
    Sol (Sunna) – Goddess of Sun.
    Váli – God of revenge.
    Vár – Goddess of contract.
    Vör – Goddess of wisdom.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Banning magic, and requiring humans to take a level in barbarian are interesting ideas but not really something i’d want to see implemented on Markshire.

The city of chaos did strike me as a good idea, and I like how you presented it. Monty’s idea of using the tent city that is forming from the refugees of Gastlynik Gate would be awesome. A place where you can go and get anything, and maybe risk you neck doing it too.

I like these ideas, keep them firing.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

Old Norse Language Tool

There are tools to speak elven and other D&D races’ languages, why not a tool to speak old norse? I’m sure this wouldn’t be the easiest task to accomplish, having to find a norse translator program and then adapt it or modify an existing language system in game to use. Having said all that this is an impractical idea, however it would be neat to see some barbarians, berzerkers, druids or spirit shamans speaking in old norse to each other. The house of bizarro ideas rolls on.

Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

While I applaud the conceptualization process invoked here, there are a few misunderstood aspects to what has been presented.

1. The world is Norse-like NOT specifically Norse.

2. The world is currently in it’s renaissance period where Knights, Lords, Ladies, peasants, farmers, merchants thrive and therefore barbarianism is relegated to the fringes of society.

3. The world is steeped in Magic lore but great works (i.e. Magical equipment) have been lost in the constant battles against the giants and Thrym.

So what does all that mean in response to Val’s various ideas…

In order…

Banning Arcane Magic: This isn’t feasible nor does it fit in with our concepts for the world. THERE will be some scripted limitations to ALL magic in the future that does belong in the world based on old PnP, recent changes in the lore of the world and discussions between BTP and myself.

Everyone is a Barbarian: Once again, Norse-like not Norse. We prefer to maintain a balance (i.e. Any BASE class can be chosen) allowing people to vary their character concepts. Barbarians exist and thrive throughout Markshire but not everyone is such.

City of Chaos: Well, a “Tortuga” of sorts is an apt addition to the module. There are existing Chaotic centers in game. Are they used much? Not really. What are they? The Laatneer District of Stonemark, the underbelly of Foothold (you know the place), as well as The Ogre Fort, The Spider Temple, and a city to the south. The problem is building and getting such places in game or building up existing locations. We build locations that are needed either for recurring access for automation (non-DM supervised) or based on the overarching storyline. So where does that leave a Chaos oriented locale for MS1 or MS2? MS1 … not likely to add anything. MS2 … Plans exist (mostly in my head) to build a locale geared to the underbelly of Markshire. Also, in MS2, we plan to add the Enemy/Ally System that allows those that have earned Ally status to utilize a power center (e.g. The Ogre Fort) as a trading locale with Quests, Merchants, and facilities much the same as Foothold, etc.

More Gods: I whittled the pantheon down to cut down the choices on purpose. There are some aspects I didn’t want added to Markshire, primarily because of the switch from the Water Based Society of the Norse to the Land Locked Society of Markshire. There are a few “deities” who are not addressed in the pantheon. The reason they are not in the Deity list is because they are simply unknown by the regular populace of Markshire.

You’ll note that I still didn’t mention them. 😉

Old Norse Language Tool: This falls under the concept that Markshire isn’t Norse. I don’t think we need a widget for Common. And ancient tongues wouldn’t be used by your average adventurers. However, I do concede that Ancient Languages do exist but I don’t think we need to add them as actual language widgets.

BTW, the addition of MORE languages is actually fairly easy so long as we aren’t trying to add a REAL or defined language. The DMFI solution is based on algorithms that generate a fake language using a seed number. Change the Seed Number and it looks like a new language and in game terms only those that know the language are capable of understanding the language.

Keep dropping ideas. I’ll try to respond to them. Good ideas are always welcome. Bad ideas … well, we all have them … BTP shoots down tons of my ideas. If he didn’t I would never accomplish anything and constantly be tinkering with this or that of my latest ideas.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

Though I admit some of those ideas are based more heavily on actual norse culture, than MS actually is, that is just me twisting things around a bit in my head to see what they would be like. I do not view MS as something it’s not. I am just making some of my crazy ideas public, this is the bizarro house of ideas, after all. It’s not supposed to be taken too seriously.

I present the origin of the Bizarro House of Ideas

Bizarro“, a failed clone of superman, degenerates to the point where he cannot think properly. His warped mind uses the opposite logic that we would, meaing what is good to us, Bizarro would call bad, and vice versa. Originally, in the comics, Bizarro was from another dimension, but this has since been changed, to the current Superman clone origin. Superman has various misadventures battling Bizarro, who doesn’t think he is Superman’s enemy, he believes he is helping him. To Superman, Bizarro is a minor annoyance. To Bizzaro Superman is his best friend, but that’s bad because he fights his best friends, he refers to his actual friends as his enemies, everything is backwards. Bizarro would say things like, “Me am helping Superman,” when he was actually fighting him.

When I was a kid we used to visit my dad’s crazy brother in New York once in a while. He is a writer, very eccentric and a huge Superman comics fan. He used to tell me Superman stories from the 50’s and 60’s and give me old comics. He loved the Bizzaro stories and used to apply his logic to various things to make me laugh. That’s where the idea came from, to think outside the norms or to even apply backwards logic. So the Bizarro house of ideas are, ideas for Markshire, from a Bizarro’s sort of perspective, where things are changed around a bit or even backwards. They are supposed to be bad ideas…uh..does bad mean good or is bad bad? Me can’t remember.

Cuz
    • Markshire PCs:

Me can’t remember

Wait a minute, that means he CAN remember…. 😉

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

Back with another installment of The House of Bizarro Ideas So because noone asked for them, noone wants to hear them, noone cares, and without further ado here we go;

Prestige Class Specific Items

Self expalnitory, characters that are able to RP enough to acheive a prestige class, can further RP, once reaching the pinnicle of the prestige class to obtain an item only usable by said prestige class. Examples would be

Assassin dagger with an extra sneak or death attack
    Weapon master weapon with an added 1d6 crit damage
    arcane archer bow with infinite arrows

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

The Markshire Awards or the Thrymmies

An award or reward system based on various things. These could be voted on by the staff, player base or decided by the staff. The awards ideas could include;

Role player of the year
    DM of the year
    Best PC biography or short story
    Best DM event or plot of the year
    Best new character or new RPer of the year

Rewards could range from character specific items, XP, a nifty banner in the forums or just bragging rights.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

Publish PC’s writings in game

Take out of game writings, that a PC has written on the forums, and make a book or a scroll in game, for other PC’s to find or read. This could be done on an individual basis, with a player approaching a staff memember and submitting their PC’s writings. A good example would be a bard creating a book of poetry that could be read in game by other PC’s. To go a step further, I personally would love to have a new PC find a book of poems from my own character, Portales, who is a poet, then meet him in game allready having read some of his work. There are alot of great tales some of the players and staff have written, that a new player would not see if they didn’t scower the forums for them. This could give them some exposure to people’s work or bios, while rewarding the writer for good RP.

Remus
    • Markshire PCs:

@Valgrimm wrote:

The Markshire Awards or the Thrymmies

An award or reward system based on various things. These could be voted on by the staff, player base or decided by the staff. The awards ideas could include;

Role player of the year
    DM of the year
    Best PC biography or short story
    Best DM event or plot of the year
    Best new character or new RPer of the year

Rewards could range from character specific items, XP, a nifty banner in the forums or just bragging rights.

I don’t think any of these are a particularly good idea, along with “Roleplayer of the month” and other such ideas. It would cause people to try and roleplay as “best” as they can, which I think is a bum concept. There are many different types of RPers, as there are many different characters and such, and not all of them lend themselves well to large scale competitions on who is the “best”. Whoever wins such competitions will be the object of jealousy and contempt for others.

There are current systems in place to reward ALL roleplayers rather than the select elite, and I think this functions a lot better than competitions.

Remus
    • Markshire PCs:

@Valgrimm wrote:

Publish PC’s writings in game

Take out of game writings, that a PC has written on the forums, and make a book or a scroll in game, for other PC’s to find or read. This could be done on an individual basis, with a player approaching a staff memember and submitting their PC’s writings. A good example would be a bard creating a book of poetry that could be read in game by other PC’s. To go a step further, I personally would love to have a new PC find a book of poems from my own character, Portales, who is a poet, then meet him in game allready having read some of his work. There are alot of great tales some of the players and staff have written, that a new player would not see if they didn’t scower the forums for them. This could give them some exposure to people’s work or bios, while rewarding the writer for good RP.

I reckon this is easy as pie if you want it. Just post somewhere you’d like to publish his works, IC or OOC like this. Perhaps create the books in the toolset, they take very little time. I’d rather not see private bio’s splashed all over the in game world, though.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

I like the publishing idea, but would restrict it to works actually written by the PC… i.e. poems, or stories, or diaries. Although i’d be more restrictive on diaries (only one copy made and given to the player).

– mule

Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

@mule wrote:

I like the publishing idea, but would restrict it to works actually written by the PC… i.e. poems, or stories, or diaries. Although i’d be more restrictive on diaries (only one copy made and given to the player).

– mule

These things require that someone RPs the creation of the book. Which will include the cost of materials, etc.

If you wish to get one made, it’s a fairly simple process. RP it with a DM. The DM then makes the book and hands it out just like a custom item.

Now, if you want to mass produce a particular book for inclusion as a random loot drop or for sale somewhere, I suggest you make a deal with the Sage of Foothold for the creation of the books and subsequent sales. You could also use the owner of the Written Word in Stonemark.

As with all things involving PCs, the Players have to put in the effort. To schedule a CDS concerning a diary or a collection of poems, etc. post here.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.