Invisibility cloak (for real)

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Invisibility cloak (for real)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Opinvu August 14, 2008 at 1:23 am.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Hasn’t it already happened with fiber optics? The invisble tarp… let me find that one…. though this sounds better.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Yes it has Opi, the japanese invented that but it’s a complicated thing to make and it’s not perfect either, you get some obvious light loss from the fiber.

Not that these materials aren’t as complicated. We’ve already been seeing patents on the negative index of refraction material. Interesting stuff. It has two major drawbacks for an invisibility cloak right now.

1. they don’t have any materials for the visible light spectrum yet. With time that’s presumed to be overcome.

2. They only work on a narrow band of frequency ranges. i.e. one might bend red light but won’t work for green. The problem is that it’s a spatially constructed material and has to be made for a specific wavelength. The real trick will be to cover the entire range that visible light does.

On the whole negative index of refraction materials are really cool and have some more practical applications than just making one invisible. Remember, even if they do get them to work your eyes have to be exposed and visible or you won’t be able to see.

– mule

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

even if they do get them to work your eyes have to be exposed and visible or you won’t be able to see.

Actually, you could probably use a strand of the fiber optic to deliver a picture through to your eyes, so the exposure would be the thickness of the fiber…. 😉

Ain’t science great?

M3C

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

I bow to your guys vast knowledge. *bows*

This is the first I’ve heard of this and it just seems really cool. Thank for the other info. on that Mule. Very, very interesting!

Peace,
    Cor

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

yeah you could monty, not saying it’s isn’t possible. Your view would be very limited with one fiber. Multiple fibers would work better. but the more you use the less effective the cloak would be.

– mule

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Well now that isn’t all true either, the advances in fibers and what the material of the fiber is. Some fibers can still act as a lense as well. We all know you can buy fish eye lenses…Wide angle… Might be as simple as the way you cut yours.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.