Markseteers Campaign

Home Forums DM Forums DM Events Markseteers Campaign

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mule October 8, 2008 at 12:42 am.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Here is my starter. My story of how this happens. And what happens. If this goes against anything in MS, please post it, point it out please.

Sir Alex Mark’s Markseteers

Recently a civil war-like uprising has occurred near Deephold. The population in and around the mountain city has split over the current direction the local government has gone. This local matter has escalated to the direct attention of Lord Alex Mark. The breakdown of the chains of command has dissolved any order left in the region and consumed well over 3000 lives. Such a large uprising has taken his full attention and all of his royal guard plus a large portion of the city guard for the general populous of Stonemark. The great Lord Marks has left the city under the control of the young prince Allenthys Marks Jr. III. Leaving the prince with minimal resources of man power in the barracks and a virtually empty armory, he has many challenges to overcome in the great lord’s absence. The biggest priority has been dealt with and now the prince is solving the problem of crime on the streets of Stonemark.

The prince has ordered the creation of a new task force called the Markseteers. These specially selected guards will see to the major crimes and investigations in and around the walls of Stonemark. Applicants will report to the South Gates Bounty Station on the declared time. All applicants will also undergo a screening process of physical skill/endurance, mental stability and intelligence testing. Those that pass will fill one of the thirteen positions available. The following poster was posted at every building under the protection of Lord Marks.

This is not finished but the first gist of the premise. These players will be like Wlker Texas Ranger. Have a badge, and a cell key, and a list of complaints to look into.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

That looks awesome Opi. I don’t know if goes against anything per se that’s more Thrym’s realm. But I do like what your doing from a storyline/RP aspect.

– mule

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Thanks, I was just worried a bit about proclaiming this Prince and his name… I didn’t exactly research.

I plan on giving all the Markseteers a badge and a ‘Cell’ key. This key won’t actually open anything… but does give them the RP right to open a barrack or guard tower or jail cell to imprison somone. This will be stated on the description of the item.

This is an aspect where the Lawful Evil types can have fun during the week, or as I may call Homework abuse. Arresting people for no reason, stealing/embezeling/threatening for bribes whatever else they can think of to subtly abuse their power.

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

Enforcers and Guardsmen are the law enforcement of Markshire.

It is Lord Allox Mark… there is no one higher.

It is a hereditary line of monarchs. They do not use the terms king or prince. Simply “Lord” and references to heirs are usually, “Heir ______” or the heir’s achieved rank, “Sir” for knighthood, “Mage” for those that are magically inclined, and so on.

The storyline is fine. I won’t include the concept going forward to MS2 but there’s no reason not to go ahead and use it here. A little more research or a PM would have given you more direction. I am fairly certain I missed an initial post on this so I apologize.

As always, I plan to continue to increase the amount of lore available to players/DMs. I will prolly post it to MS2 and bring it back to MS1 as I have time. So look to both forums.

Thanks, Opi, for continuing to get in here and make things happen. I wish I had more time to devote to getting in game. Eventually. *wistful sigh*

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Thanks for the post Thrym. I will make the needed adjustments.

I did plan for this Markseteers to only last the length of the campaign. This Task force is no longer needed once Lord Allox Mark returns with all of his men, and this all will be stated at the end. The Task Force wouldn’t be the ultimate law, just some elite replacements to the lack of Guards and enforcers due to the above reasons.

During their intiations I will be explaining this as well. I felt this will give room for the Lawful evils to play in while not exactly ruining it for themselves or others. With the mass of inforcers and the Lord away, cats and mice may play.

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

Opi, as per our Tells earlier this week, I’m available to assist DM this coming Tuesday evening (12 august). Please send me a PM or something to let me know with what you’ll need assistance.

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

This can be a perfect opertunity. Sun=ok tried to bring a non-english speaker into the try-outs. I sent him away until thiws week to learn better common as per the Want ed poster stating. Must speak the Lord’s language.

You could hold the last weeks physical trial for his char. Run the same events then send you both over to the Intelectual tests. That will allow me to test them and keep 2 or more others busy while they wait in line. (if such happens)

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

OK. I’ll come in early and set up the course in the park. About how many of those barrels had you set up along the running course to be hit by the participants?

The only consumables you’ll need for a person were four bottles of Ale, correct? The baby/dead baby I also have in my inventory from a package of custom items you passed along quite some time ago.

Are you cool with the shooting targets being along the side of the hill, as you corrected in game?

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

No specif number of barrels is required. I just had more at the start than the rest of the course.

The targets suggestion is fine. I think the real problem with that was the fact that the target was static and unselectable, the barrel was selectable, BUT, behind the target. This BEHIND situation made the palyer have to run up for a ‘line of sight’ condition to be met.

Correct, you only need 4 ales for the runners. A copy of the tests is in your PM box.

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

Did a brief run with Ohm, the monk whose name starts with J (it’s not Jarvis, but that’s the name that comes to mind for some reason), and Maarten last night. It was a race around the park through an obstacle course set up by Mogelweg. The course was the same, but it was three laps, the racers drank Potions of Aid instead of Ale, and there were traps and fire beetles scattered about the area in various places.

At the end of the race, I granted some non-essential items and gave a little lecturette about teamwork and preparing for the unexpected.

EDIT: The dude’s name is Jorin…Sorry about that.

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Sounds like a team buildin seminar.

Sounds like ya had fun! 😀

I did home work, a bit of weight lifting and a few laps in the pool and a good 10min soak in the hot tub. Then I retired to my room for a two hour Wii marathon. My bowler turned Pro.. then back again.

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

And just to let you know, I’ll be out of town on Tuesday, 9th September. Band trip to DC. 🙂

FLEX THOSE BOWLING MUSCLES…!

We set up someone’s Wii machine along with my video projector one night earlier this year. The screen was gigantic; it was like standing at the foot of a real life bowling lane.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

wait you’re coming to D.C. on the 9th?

/end threadjack

– mule

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

When are you guys heading back north, huh? You got a built in audience – if BTP and Paul can stay sober enough, out of trouble, and sans food poisoning…….

🙂

M3C

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

OTHER THREAD, PLEASE. 😛

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Been doing some last-minute stuff. As this campaign is really pushing my creative envelope, and DM skills, I have not been ahead of the events like I was with Grippligeadon. The major plot twist/suprise for this campaign has been hard coming. But, I think I have it perfected now.

PLOT GIVEAWAY! If want suprise in game, SMR, do not read below.

I did some reaserch on Angerboda, from the Arik temple. She is supposed to be a giantess…mother of Fenrir and of Hel. So, I was going to tie this to her somehow. Angerboda is the old woman giving out the Gloves of Strangulation. The new section of the Cona mines is an age old temple barried by the moving earth from long ago. This ancient site is the birthplace of Hel. The necromancer wishes to clear out the old temple and bring Hel back to earth… the living plane. This temple was fillied with the followers and it is their fossilized corpses that the miners were mining as chalk. The chalk/corpse dust was being used by the people of stonemark and people were t urning into Zombies from useing it. (strange side effect)The Necromancer tries to utlize these undead turns as workers. His cohort helps bring them there and stands to gain from his assistance.

I realize that the zombies are not something Hel would approve of. If and when he gets close to completion, he will be punished first, and rewarded second. Hel will have some punishment for him that shall happen right before the teams eyes. His change will prompt them to kill him and his torure in Hels domain may begin. So, shile this man thinks he is doing good for his god of choice, he is really doing bad by both worldy standards. Lawfully evil. right?

Please point out any holes, or flaws.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Alright, two questions.

Angerboda is the old woman giving out gloves of strangulation, how does this tie into the necromancer’s plan to bring Hel into the mortal plane? (forgive me if I missed something earlier) …

and I would call him more NE, aka true evil. But LE isn’t too much of a stretch .. though I don’t see LE motivations… LE’s like to follow the law but do evil through it.. the mortal law would not like what he is doing … regardless of what his goddess thinks. What were your reasons for choosing LE? I May just be missing something.

I do like the premise overall though.

– mule

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.