Mass Effect PC Releasing May 6th

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Mass Effect PC Releasing May 6th

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brindisium
    • Markshire PCs:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37016/Mass-Effect-PC-Releasing-May-6th

I think Val and Corgano were enjoying this, but there seem to be at least some dissenting voices:

The game really isnt worth 60 bucks. Besides the Citadel, ALL the side quests look EXACTLY the same and they completely suck. Same cave, Same buildings, Same planets with white for snow, red for mars, and you typical greenery in between.

The main storyline is gorgeous, but you can blow it through in about 15 hours if you ignore the sidequests.

Sidequests does not net you any new weapons/armors/items that you eventually get in the main storyline. Its good if you like to read a disjointed story through codex.

Don’t get your hope too much. I haven’t replayed it since the first run through. I’ve finished all the codex and the playtime is around 25+ hour

Anyone else played it? Val, Cor you finished it now?

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

After Valgrimm’s detailed explanation of this game, I may buy it. This and Bioshock are the only two games I have pondered purchasing aside from NWN2 in the last 2-3 years. I for one am looking forward to it.

Rasbedian
    • Markshire PCs:

I haven’t seen Valgrimm’s explanation of it, though I do remember enjoying Mass Effect with a sort of fanaticism… though in truth that was because it played almost exclusively to my tastes: it was both an in-depth roleplaying game and a tactical shooter, essentially combining two things that I enjoy most.

Of course, there are a few downsides to the whole affair. I did not enjoy how the ‘loot’ leveled alongside you. Also, as already mentioned, the side-missions can certainly become repetitive… however, beside the usual “go to the planet, do this, get a pat on the back”, there are some that actually hold their own miniature storylines… or simply provide a backdrop for more interaction with your team-members. Another personal pet peeve I encountered was that the game almost forced you into a relationship during the ‘male’ side of the storyline with one of the characters by not providing an “I’m not interested in you” option in dialog that I could find. ((That’s right, Ashley Williams, I’m looking at you, you ethnocentric xenophobe.)) In addition, if you actually /enjoy/ the bits of the game where you get to drive around on planets in the APC-rover for the umpteenth time, I’d recommend a psychiatrist.

Really though, a good portion of the game depends on whether you enjoy the storyline or not. If you do, the game turns to become an all-too-short span of absolute awesome, though it relies on the ability to both rush into combat and disable the enemy with a certain degree of shooter skills while at other times shutting off the ADHD run-and-gun portion of the brain to enjoy the beautifully-voiced dialogs. The cut scenes and interactions with NPCs border on the line of being a movie on their own self. Every one of the team-members you meet along the way has their own backstory and their own unique personality and outlook, and you have the option to dig as deep as you would want into the richly-developed setting. Unfortunately, once every rare occasion I felt frustrated due to the predictable limitation of possible choices in replies, but overall, it was quite an enjoyable experience with such issues only cropping up every once in a while.

There’s no reason to even go into the graphics, since they underline every possible definition of ‘gorgeous’, clinging to its own unique style while nevertheless providing the sort of eye-opening wonder nestled deep within evolved Space Opera settings. I should also not forget to mention that Mass Effect provides you with the ability to choose your character’s appearance to a degree that completely shames the confounding process of TES4: Oblivion’s facial tweaking system. As a side note, this is also the only game that I’ve ever seen that made body-tight jumpsuits look stylish.

Overall, though, if you can cope with a “shootan-gaem” background and enjoy exploring a beautiful world inside an enthralling storyline, this game might just be for you. Then again, this comes from the perspective of someone who went as far as getting the Mass-Effect prequel novelisation after completing the game, so any image of the game painted by me is likely to be tainted with at least a small degree of favoritism (though I did try and balance that out somewhat). Personally, I’d recommend at the very least renting it for a while, if the option presents itself, though I myself will probably end up shelling out to the cost of purchasing the PC version despite having already played it on the X-Box 360.

Brindisium
    • Markshire PCs:

Thanks for the extensive reply Ras, very interesting.

I do remember enjoying Mass Effect with a sort of fanaticism… though in truth that was because it played almost exclusively to my tastes: it was both an in-depth roleplaying game and a tactical shooter, essentially combining two things that I enjoy most.

Ultimately, that is the reason probably I’ll get it too. I still cant bring myself to throw away my System Shock and Deus Ex CDs ( and I bought Bioshock and loved it BTP ). Oh, and I’ve always wanted to have sex with a blue alien. Game over, as they say.

Some of the PC enhancements sound like useful additions to the game, particularly this

New squad control interface – Players can now issue commands to individual squad members, providing a new level of depth to the tactical combat.

My trigger finger ain’t as fast as it used to be so in my book “tactical” sounds good.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

I played through the game twice and enjoyed it both times. I did start a third playthrough on the highest diffiulty level, but became bored with it and stopped.

I actually wanted more, more planets, quests, all that stuff. I would have liked for the game to be longer, which is my complaint for most console RPGS. When will the game makers learn that 40 hours of game play is nothing. That’s why all of these mmorpgs are so popular, endless gaming hours, which is what gamers want.

Another complaint I had was that on the hardest difficulty it became tedious to fight all the heavily shielded enemies. Each one took forever to kill, and biotics were a necessity. It changed the combat from stealth/strategy tactics to lifting/singularitying everyone then waiting while machine guns wore down shields and massive amounts of health.

Kamas Wrote

this comes from the perspective of someone who went as far as getting the Mass-Effect prequel novelisation after completing the game

I read the book too, before I got the game.

Kamas Wrote

Another personal pet peeve I encountered was that the game almost forced you into a relationship during the ‘male’ side of the storyline with one of the characters by not providing an “I’m not interested in you” option

My renegade character didn’t hook up with her, he just treated her like crap, so I didn’ t feel forced. My paragon character however, got with the blue chic by my own doing, I just wanted to see if it was possible.

Shanara
    • Markshire PCs:

I was amazed at all the anger over it coming to the PC. Who did not see that happening? And you bought an XBox 360 for 1 game? uhmm…. okay….

Anyway, I’m looking forward to getting this and will of course play as a female Shepherd (or whatever the name is.. escapes me at the moment)

Remus
    • Markshire PCs:

@Shanara wrote:

I was amazed at all the anger over it coming to the PC. Who did not see that happening? And you bought an XBox 360 for 1 game? uhmm…. okay….

Anyway, I’m looking forward to getting this and will of course play as a female Shepherd (or whatever the name is.. escapes me at the moment)

You’re right, its Shepherd. I’ve played through it a couple of times, it is a fantastic game. It also makes me very happy to think that KOTOR 3 is on the way, and since Mass Effect used most of the good ideas from the KOTOR series…3 will be superbly awesome.

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

first off let me say that Mass Effect is the reason I have not been IG on MS(1 or2). my friend left his 360 at my place with COD4, then came over the next week with ME, and then left it again. that was 3 months ago. so I am hopelessly addicted to it now. I agree with every thing said here. this game has something for everyone. and don’t worry Val, “ME-Ten Planets” is the upcoming expantion/sequel. acording to my local Gamestop geek.

-Boost

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

@BoostNJuice wrote:

“ME-Ten Planets” is the upcoming expantion/sequel.

-Boost

*Drool* 😉

Brindisium
    • Markshire PCs:

G4TV has a clip from a segment called Face Time, discussing what’s new in Mass Effect for the PC with Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/blog/index.html?t=683413#683413

Looks like you xbox people were really just guinea pigs to help them tune the game for us /real/ gamers on our PC’s. Nice. Does look sweet though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.