Mule – A little help, maybe?

Home Forums Discussion Forums Out of Game Mule – A little help, maybe?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar
    mule
    • Markshire PCs:

yeah I knew about this one. In fact it’s what I have installed now. One problem, it screws something up and causes my frame rate to flux between 8 FPS and normal every 2-3 seconds. It’s HIGHLY game killing. Yeah, I suppose I could role back to the black screen of doom.

– mule

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Drivers just aint what they used to be. Used to be drivers were always way ahead of the hardware.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

yeah from what I understand this is a failing to properly handle some old graphics rendering protocol that NWN1 uses… yay

– mule

Sarkhan
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

I can understand them missing some old protocols. but to neglect the issue for so long after realizing that it was an issue is just ridicules

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

From what I hear Nvidia doesn’t care. They’re basically leaving it up to Obsidian to fix it.

– mule

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

So they can say we don’t suppor that anymore, and then NVIDIA can say, that game engine is obsolete., we don’t have to support it.

Sarkhan
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Oh Great ! another Freakin run around.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

*ding* exactly. I think obsidian said it might be part of the next patch, or that might be wishful thinking. But you can bet the next patch isn’t forthcoming anytime soon.

– mule

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

In order for me to get my GeForce 7900 GTX to work correctly with NWN 1 I had to load older drivers for it.

If I look in Device Manager the driver is dated: 10/22/2006.

Maybe you could do the same?

I think I also had to re-install the game after I updated the drivers to get it working correctly.

And yes, the older drivers still work fine with the newer games. Hope this is a little bit helpfull for ya in some way at least because Markshire just isn’t the same with out a sneaky troll wandering around!

Peace,
    Cor

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

my fix for this issue was an executable that opened the game directly into the load menu. Then I just hit cancel and i’m at the main menu, and all is normal from there. not sure where I found this fix tho.

Boost

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

bel, I thought of this, and it’s not viable. Can you say 2 months down time?

Also, we’re not talking about that issue Boost. That one I just hit random buttons until the black screen went away.

– mule

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Hey Muler, do you have an old computer laying around that still works? NWN 1 is pretty low-tech on the specs. Just a thought.

I know it may be a big hassle to do all this just for one game after all. And I don’t know your setup and how many IP addresses you have allocated and such. I guess I’m just saying we miss good old Ghak doing his thing and all.

Hope something comes along to help you out.

Peace,
    Cor

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

He just doesn’t want to be bothered with such ‘old school’ games. See, Mule is what ‘we’ call a “power-gamer”. He lives on the sales floor waiting for the new game to come out and buy so he can be the first to say, “It sucks”. Ever wonder why he would want to work in the patent office? So he can send people letters that say, “You suck, your idea sucks, please don’t bother us with stuff that sucks.”

I think I got a letter from Mule like that. A few times…. well, sure he was right, but still.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Opi, all your ideas suck. And you don’t know me very well. I used to MUD for gods sake… like I need exciting graphics.

Bel, no I just have spare parts lying around. I tend to take the old machine and just replace the bits that need replacing to update. I think I have enough to put a machine together if I had a case for it. I have a CPU, hard drive, monitor, mobo, and ram lying around. But no case, graphics card, or ethernet card.

– mule

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

Doesn’t it seem like mule always has some long drawn out story as to why he isn’t in game. What was the reason last year? I can’t even remember.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

my computer broke… and it’s fix was complicated but involved said drivers… so I am reluctant to touch them. Also, I didn’t bring this up.

– mule

Sarkhan
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Don’t feel like the lone ranger there Mule Last night my Nvidia 7700LE decided it had had enough and now I’m back to a gforce mx4. (which by the way is giving me some crap as well)

Arn’t computers just so much fun. So if anyone can find me a 512 or higher card for a reasonable price please pm me the url or post it in here

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

if it’s less than a year old you should see if it is still under warranty, they may replace it.

– mule

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Sar,

I just had to replace the cooling fan on my Powercolor card. I purchased mine for like 100 bucks well over a year ago. A 512MB AGP card at that price allowed me to keep my older machine running and able to run NWN2 in kickazz mode.

Other than that it has been outstanding, and I know T has the same card, he found it to begin with. Brak is also running one now.

Here is a list of Powercolor cards on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048&Description=powercolor&bop=And&Order=PRICE

EDIT: Good gravy, my card is like 55 bucks there now. I paid 45 for the new cooling unit. Ah well, I needed the card fixed THAT day, price ya pay.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Mule, here is something from the Bioware Forum…..

The bug introduced with 1.11 that causes the FPS to drop by half when a summoned creature/familiar/animal-companion is added to the party is still there. This also causes a 50% frame rate drop when the chracter sheet is opened, until the spell book is opened/closed. Once both character sheet and spell book have been opened, frame rate stays normal (until the next area change.)

Is that what you are getting, perhaps?

M3C

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=622711&forum=109&sp=15

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

perhaps i’ll have to check it out. Usually though this frame rate fluctuation happens constantly over and over. But it’s worth a shot.

opening the character sheet and then spell book every area change sounds fun.

– mule

SpymasterGend
    • Markshire PCs:

You mean, when you pass a transition you DON’T already open the spellbook to see what spells you have left? And DON’T check how close you are to your next level on your character sheet?

*in voice of John Cleese, excerpted from A Fish Called Wanda* Are you com-pletely de-ranged?

*looks around neurotically, pats wallet to make sure it has not been pickpocketed, ensures that no one is watching as signature is typed*

Gend

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

well I do often open the character sheet, but Nordbert was never really concerned with “spells” and well, Neughak … lets just say he and spells don’t get along. Although Sun wouldn’t know that because she’s never met Ghak has she? *ponders*

– mule

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.