Neverwinter Nights and the Sony Vaio

Home Forums Discussion Forums Out of Game Neverwinter Nights and the Sony Vaio

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Sarkhan
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

i just got a Sony Vaio and it wont run NWN2 can anyone help? Also i havent tried but i heard that NWN1 wont run on vista so any fixes you all know of would be welcomed

Cayle
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

There are the usual questions.

1. Did you de-crapify the Vaio? Sony has a slick looking laptop, but they load a ton of bloatware and trial software crap onto it. It ain’t ready to ship until it runs like a three legged dog.
    2. Which video driver are you using? IIRC, Sony uses NVidia chips (was recently shopping for a laptop myself) and I’ve seen some quirkiness among different games with different driver versions.
    3. Lastly, you DO have a geforce 8x00M and not intel graphics right? Some Vaios have integrated video and others ($2000+ models) have geforce chips.
    Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

Can’t help you too much on the NWN2 trouble, as my machine can’t run it either. But, I can tell you that NWN1 will run on Vista. Meet me in-game if you want proof. 😛

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Ok, first off – how many processors, and are they dual core? NWN2 does not like dual core in Vista. You can set it for a single processor in the settings. Next, try going to all of the NWN2 executables (.exe) files. Right click them, choose properties, then choose Compatibilty, and select Win XP SP2 compatibility on all the programs. Next, find out what graphics card you have. Go into the Control Panel, choose hardware, and get into the device manager. Find the video card, and click the plus sign to expand it. Then, check the card against the list from Bioware of compatible cards. After all that, if it still doesn’t work, well….
    You can check the Bioware site for help on running NWN2 on Vista.

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=623390&forum=116&highlight=Running%20NWN2%20on%20Vista

M3C

domf
    • Markshire PCs:

does it even have a video card? I know some just have an onboard graphics “Chip” that blows monkeychunks….

i found that out the hard way when i went to instal CoD4 on my girlfriends computer

Sarkhan
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Ok thanks for the help i have manged to get NWN1 up and running but when i try to start NWN2 i get a error “Could not find any Compatible Direct3D devices.“…..Any Ideas?

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

Means your video card isn’t supported. You could use a program called 3D-Analyze to trick the system into thinking that your video card is supported, but you’ll only be able to play the unpatched version of the game. For some inexplicable reason, 3D-Analyze doesn’t work with the recent NWN2 patches.

Sarkhan
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

*walks off shaking his head*

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

You could always have an “accident” and get a replacement machine.

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, I have a fix for Sar (and myself). Am going to test it out soon on MotB, that is, as soon as it finishes installing.

It goes with what I was saying before, but with a twist. Search for and download a program called 3D-Analyze (or Analyzer, I’ve seen both). Get that all set up. Once that’s installed on your system, right click and select Run as Administrator (you’re on Vista, right?). Click select in the upper left corner and for the .exe file find nwn2main and select that. now here’s where you need to figure something out on your own. Check on http://www.systemrequirementlabs.com to see what’s wrong with your video card. For example, mine didn’t have TnL support. So, in 3D-Analyze, I clicked on the HW TnL slot. Basically, click on whatever you’re missing, and the program will make NWN2 believe your card supports that. Then click on run and you’ll be set.

The added twist, though is that the nwn2main needs to be a no-cd .exe, otherwise 3D-Analyze won’t work with the patched version of the game. Google for one of those cracks.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions on the program.

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

@Voran Falcona wrote:

Well, I have a fix for Sar (and myself)….

The force is strong in this one.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Impressive. Most impressive.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

MAN I just want to punch that avatar RIGHT upside the suck.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

Both games run fine in SP. However, MS2 keeps telling me I’m missing a hak file….

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Doesn’t say which one? Could be one from an update…..

M3C

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

@BeyondThePale wrote:

MAN I just want to punch that avatar RIGHT upside the suck.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

My work here is done folks!

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

@Monty wrote:

Doesn’t say which one? Could be one from an update…..

M3C

Nah, doesn’t say. Isn’t the server running the 1.11 patch? Doesn’t that mean I should be at 1.11? Because I haven’t patched the game because of that.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Thrym is going to Patch it to 1.12 on Sunday.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

mak sure the haks are in the right folder. It’s not in the game folder. I sent you a PM on it. IF that isn’t it you may be missing a hak or one may be corrupted.

PS: I just noted there is a hak update near the end of the thread on MS2. Not sure if that update is in with the other haks.

– mule

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

I put them all in the Documents/NWN2 folder. And then, when that didn’t work, I made folders in the Atari/NWN2 folder to be sure I wasn’t putting them in the wrong folder.

I tried with both the old and the new markshire_2das.rar from the 1.11 post and then from the bug thread.

I guess I’ll just wait til Sunday and try it all again?

domf
    • Markshire PCs:

you could be like me and have it work and be in game….but then have it kick you out because you are too good looking

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

Yes, that seems like a reasonable explanation.

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, got it working now. Guess I’ll check out the new world some time this weekend.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

woot! what was it out of curiosity?

Dram, you know it kicks you because you are using Vista, and nobody like Vista… except you of course.

– mule

Cayle
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

@mule wrote:

Dram, you know it kicks you because you are using Vista, and nobody like Vista… except you of course.

There is a certain degree of irony that NWN runs better on Ububtu than on Vista. Or perhaps that is not irony, but the future. ❓ In the meantime I’m sticking with XP.

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

@mule wrote:

woot! what was it out of curiosity?

– mule

But Vista likes me, hence why it finally allowed me to join the server. I was missing…the hak files that BTP linked to in the “New Module on BiFrost” post. For some reason, I was terrible at reading dates and thought that T’s post in the 1.11 was more recent.

Thanks for the help, mule. 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.