One year later.

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? One year later.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, it’s been one year since my family rescued a greyhound.

Hela has had a couple of hiccups, the biggest one being she has become a bit of a spook around other people and dogs after spending the winter indoors. We’re working on that with the neighbors and probably through obedience classes.

We have fenced in the back yard, and she has plenty of running room. She is faster than I had thought possible, and she never ran a live race according to her records. She gave my wife a look at just how fast last Monday. She let the dogs out the back door and saw a pair of rabbits in the yard about 40 yards out. Hela saw them and went for them, grabbing one before it got 10 feet. She killed Bugs pretty quick. The whole process traumatized my wife. It took her a full day to accept that’s what these dogs do, and that we will likely never have a varmint in our yard again.

The surreal experience was having Hela walk back into the house, look at my cat (which is smaller than the rabbit she just killed) and proceed to ignore her and go lay down. We didn’t know what kind of personality we would get with the adopted animal at first, but she has been affectionate with all three of us.

To this end, we’ve decided to foster dogs coming off of the tracks and waiting for homes as well as assisting the organization in getting the dogs from the tracks, getting them cleaned up, and getting them to the foster homes. Well, we’re trying once. If the separation of my girls and this foster dog turns into Spider Man 3 (everybody crying all the time) then this will be a one time experience. I just figured I would share this in case anyone ever is curious about retired racers or is looking for a different breed of pet to adopt.

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

Good dog, bad rabbit.

I think I can figure out why Pita doesn’t get a second blink… because Hela learned that the hard way when you tall folk were gone during the day. Even B and myself learned that you don’t mess with the Pita.

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

Wait a minute… don’t greyhounds chase fake rabbits around the track anyway?

I think you should get that dog to running, be the first one that catches the little machine and tears it up.

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Think teather ball… radio controlled airplane on a teather….Automated rabbit decoy system… Either way I am sure in a few more years ther eis going to be some nice ruts and dieing grass on their racetrack in the yard alone. Greyhounds aren’t ment to be pets. They weren’t bread to be that is.

Course that aspect of it on the kids.. I woulda never thought of that. That would be hard. Like having step-siblings that only visited on the weekends… seperation anxiety…Course, it could prep them for Vet positions…used to loosing animals and seeing them go back to bad owners.. err other families.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

So much content in a relatively short post. Well I can further illuminate the PITA being off bounds. She doesn’t act like prey, and probably has reinforced this in their private alone time. Animals are funny like that, they see something as non-prey they don’t mess with it, no matter the size difference really.

Yeah I don’t know what to tell you about your wife seeing the rabbit dying. My parents let their cats out so my family is pretty desensitized to seeing dead animals. We’ve found everything from dead mice, to piles of feathers (assumed to be dead birds), to a dead full grown rabbit. The worst was when space (a 15 lb, long haired, black cat) came up on our back deck and proceeded to play with/chew on a live bird. He then left it with half it’s side eaten under it’s wing. Oh it was still perfectly alive and unable to fly. He’s cruel like that. Well I had to go out with a shovel and finish it, the peeping cries of pain we a bit much. At least Hela has the courtesy to kill the rabbit.

Also, you’re gonna need to exercise Hela regularly. I’m sure they’ve already told you about this. I’ve always heard that the dogs with the most energy need a lot of running to not go stir crazy. The herd dogs are the worst. Good luck on fostering other animals. Lil girl is probably getting to a stage of maturity where she can handle it. It’s a pretty kind thing to be doing for animals that are otherwise used by humanity.

– mule

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Hela and my lab have made a career out of destroying my back yard Opi. It comes with the territory. We had a small metal fence and post pen that we used for her until we got the back yard fenced in. Now I just need to get some sturdy breed of grass in the spots that are damaged.

I’ll post any interesting tidbits about the incoming foster.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.