Star Trek…

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Star Trek…

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  BoostNJuice May 27, 2009 at 2:32 am.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Ok, I saw Star Trek the new movie… so, anyone else? It was very action packed that’s for sure. 🙂

I’ll try not to put any spoilers in here till we’ve all seen the movie. So, go and see it already!

Peace,
    Cor

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

I don’t mind spoilers, it looks pretty sweet to me. Gunna see it as soon as I get time, right after new Wolverine flick.

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

I saw it, good flick. I’m not a trekkie or anything, but I caught some old Star Trek references and things that linked the new movie to the old stuff. Good casting too. But;

WHY THE F WAS KIRK LISTENING TO THE BEASTIE BOYS AS A KID????

Oh and Wolverine sucked.

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

*takes headphones off with Beastie Boys playing*

It’s that “old becomes new” trend.

Star Trek was awesome. Brak and I saw it Friday at a regular theatre. Then Sunday we took a road trip to IMAX to see it there. Friggin awesome. 5 stories of Trek-tastic.

Wolverine was marginal. Hugh … good. Liev … surprisingly awesome as Sabertooth. Story … uh … WTF were they thinking? And really, let’s take it to the next level and have Wolverine rip some people to shreds. You know, like he does in the comics.

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Alrighty… something I did notice is that Kirk really gets his arse handed to him in this movie! I mean, he really gets beaten up by just about everyone! LOL!

Cayle
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

@thrym wrote:

Star Trek was awesome. Brak and I saw it Friday at a regular theatre. Then Sunday we took a road trip to IMAX to see it there. Friggin awesome. 5 stories of Trek-tastic.

Where is there an IMAX in the finger lakes?

No Trek in theatres here (no surprise as its not a Hindi or Kannada film), but I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to get a bootleg by the end of the week. 😉

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster

@corgano wrote:

Alrighty… something I did notice is that Kirk really gets his arse handed to him in this movie! I mean, he really gets beaten up by just about everyone! LOL!

It’s like the new Bond … aka Sweaty Bond. Kirk is a single parent rebel in this time line. That … made him a brawler.

@cayle wrote:

Where is there an IMAX in the finger lakes?

There’s one in Rochester and another near Buffalo. There’s also one in a museum in Syracuse but they don’t run feature films.

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

@thrym wrote:

It’s like the new Bond … aka Sweaty Bond. Kirk is a single parent rebel in this time line. That … made him a brawler.

Ok, I can understand the angle they were going for with Kirk being a brawler and all… But in the movie, Kirk just seemed to be so bad at it. I mean, he didn’t win a single fight. Sure he can use a phaser, but in hand-to-hand he kept getting his butt kicked from everyone! Don’t get me wrong, I think his acting was great, but that was just my observation on the fighting scenes. 8)

Peace,
    Cor

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster

@corgano wrote:

Ok, I can understand the angle they were going for with Kirk being a brawler and all… But in the movie, Kirk just seemed to be so bad at it. I mean, he didn’t win a single fight. Sure he can use a phaser, but in hand-to-hand he kept getting his butt kicked from everyone! Don’t get me wrong, I think his acting was great, but that was just my observation on the fighting scenes.

Sometimes you get the upperhand by allowing the other guy to get in a few good punches. As in the “I’ve got your weapon.” scene.

Kirk frequently required the aid of a Vulcan pinch here and there in the old show. The key was he got in there and mixed it up. And frequently he ended up captured for his impertinence.

I think the “young” Kirk they have was fine. He’s still too young to understand that being out-numbered is a bad thing. But his enthusiasm and straight up tenacity make up for his immaturity.

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

@valgrimm wrote:

WHY THE F WAS KIRK LISTENING TO THE BEASTIE BOYS AS A KID????

Perhaps what’s old is what’s new again? I think they were showing his rebel side and that he was into old stuff (cars, music, books) even as a kid.

@thrym – Yeah I guess I forgot about all the times in TOS where Spock or someone helped him out in a fight. I just seem to remember him getting the upperhand more often in TOS. Then again, I haven’t seen an old episode in a long time. Perhaps the cable stations will start airing the old episodes again. Or perhaps a new show will come out of this. 😀

Peace,
    Cor

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

Not a Trekkie, very much enjoyed this movie. I hope this isn’t just a 1 timer 🙂

who am I kidding… no way Hollywood is going to allow this reboot to be 1 and done.

Anyone seen Fanboys? It’s a trip and I lol’d a lot.

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster

@g_kinkaid wrote:

who am I kidding… no way Hollywood is going to allow this reboot to be 1 and done.

They signed the entire cast to 3 movies from the start.

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

@thrym wrote:

SWEET!!! Now this, THIS is good news! Thanks Thrym! 😀

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

@thrym wrote:

@g_kinkaid wrote:

awesome

now if the Apocalypse can just hold off for a few more years…

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

@g_kinkaid wrote:

awesome

Just make sure Monty doesn’t cast any fireball spells and we should be okay! 😛

domf
    • Markshire PCs:

@g_kinkaid wrote:

this Apocalypse?

http://www.viewzone.com/endtime.html

Havn’t seen either Wolverine or Star Trek yet…plan on waiting for the red box or a bootleg..I cant seem to justify the costs right now.

Plus…I usually get the annoying people or something that goes wrong with the screen.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Just make sure Monty doesn’t cast any fireball spells and we should be okay!

One or two strays back in my youth, and you’re marked for life……

🙂

Sarkhan
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

Ill still run with ya Monty them fire balls never bothered me
    Oh and saw both Star Trek and the new Wolverine both were awesome

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

I saw Star Trek this weekend and I agree with everything here; 1 movie was awesome… 2 young kirk has bad taste in music… 3 he does get his ass kicked by everyone!!

boost

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.