Stonemark Mage Guild

Home Forums DM Forums NPC/PC Guilds Stonemark Mage Guild

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

This group of mages handles the majority of the magic work for the government. It is a large contract they maintain by squashing any and all competition.

Actually, I don’t know if they really do that. But it could be a plot.

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

Any thought on tests or trials for these mages?

For example, I found a book that features several mathematical games dealing with numbers and shapes. We can offer these as player tests, challenging their brainpower outside of the game (perhaps via e-mail or PMs), then reward them as they role-play the results in game. Rewards of course can feature custom Mage Guild items/quests/etc.

Their PC still receives the XP, but it makes the Mage Guild somewhat distinct and memorable.

Any thoughts on this?

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Are any of the positions or NPCs in the Mage Guild fleshed out at all?

When Monty joined the Guild, was there an initiation (thank you sir may I have another?), or something like that? And I remember a long time ago Muddy talking about Guild items. Any of those ever go?

I ask because currently there are a number of mages running about Markshire (makes my heart sing), and I was thinking of approaching some of them to see if there is interest in the guild. Aels’s Catani, Corgano’s Bram, and Ceorlas’s Nevin are all mages (or sorcerors, haven’t checked completely).

If there’s nothing really known, then one thing I considered would be a hierarchy consisting of a circle of equals. No mage worth her salt will completely put herself under the others who are at the same level, so there’s no real head honcho.

But instead, masters of the main schools of magic are determined (trial by spellduel or something. Yeah, the contest for Master Abjurer is gonna be FU-UN!), and then those masters come together to decide the actions of the guild.

Another fun thing might be to have one of the masters always changing, kinda like the drummer from Spinal Tap. (“…there was a little, green globule.”).

Other thoughts about how the NPC guild would interact with PC members?

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, I had started fleshing out the mage’s guild building, but no one liked the design that much, and the fact that the areas were overloaded anyway kept it out of the game. We could try again, though.
    I would definitely want some place where the mages could gather in secret and discuss mage things. Plus, it could be a place to dispense secret justice on mages that broke the rules, went too far, etc.
    Day to day stuff could prolly be run by Monty, and then when it’s an event, the DM’s take over in the guise of the “Council of Mages” or something.
    If we did do the interior of the Mages Guild (the exterior already exists), I would like to see it be a mystical place, with bubbling concoctions, secret stuff, and portals to weird places. I had added “cages” for strange and wondrous beasts the mages had brought back over time. A connection to “something” under the guild would be a priority as well, so that we could have adventures based on keeping whatever it is at bay, even if we just connect to an existing dungeon.
    The reason I am so insistent on the structure is that it gives a central gathering point for RP and allows mage discussions in private without fear of being overheard. The place would be spelled or guarded against intrusion by outsiders.
    I would think that mages would be allowed in without concern for their alignment, but of course the chaotic and evil would quickly be expelled for forbidden activities.
    That’s my takes on the mages guild, subject as always, to correction/amplification by the Bones and Thrym.

M3C

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Just so long as there’s an archery range for all teh bowmages the practice, I’m cool with it.

So when Monty joined the guild was there any special test? And did he get any guild specific items?

Do you remember any particular NPCs who were used?

If not, no biggie. I can make up some stuff.

Besides, it remains to be seen whether the targets of this effort have any will to RP towards it.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Bonesy RPed it with me, but I don’t remember much of it.

M3C

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.