Thrym’s Travelogue

Home Forums Admin Only The Gathering Thrym’s Travelogue

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Monty June 2, 2008 at 10:48 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

Thrym’s Travelogue

12:20 pm – Wednesday – May 28th 2008

I set out from the house sore and a tad pissed off. A wipeout in at the backporch to my house has me wounded on wrist and knee and dreading the consequences of such an unfortunate omen.

Within minutes I reach the NYS Thruway and head toward Syracuse with my 2gb of music blaring and the car set to 75mph. Upon reaching the exit to 81 south (1:04pm) I amuse myself and get revenge on Murphy’s Law by paying for the toll with a roll of nickels and speed on south towards NYC.

The traffic is great. Wednesday afternoon is the perfect time to zip down 81. I zip out of Syracuse and cruise down 81 still running around 75 for my average speed.

Many miles later I take the 17 offramp (3:00 or so) and begin heading east again towards the city. 17 is incredibly picturesque. Winding road through the Appalachians takes me past miles of tree topped and stream bottomed valleys. I am reminded of Muddy frequently as I see people wading in the streams fishing. No taserpacks. 🙁

I pull off the road at a stop to stretch briefly and resume my run to Pat’s.

I reach the 87 Thruway ($1.00) and attempt to pay with nickels again. This gentleman doesn’t bite and wants me to write my Driver’s License on the roll. I switch to a dollar bill and hop on the multilane highway towards the city. Oh well. Point to Murphy this time.

It’s on this stretch of highway that I encounter the first real moron of the day. A skinny little college chick in a red Paseo tries to slide her car into mine without a single glance right. People are passing me and I am doing 75 again. I decide it’s been long enough and get off the Thruway for a real rest stop this time.

I pull in and park. Lock the car and head toward the restrooms. I am accosted by a bull dyke (mean every connotation here) whose looking for change for gas. Oh I dodge her. Her little but cute blonde girlfriend (totally felt sorry for her) asks me if I really don’t have any change. I literally haven’t got any change on me. I have rolls of it in the car but they don’t need to know that. I head in, do my business, head out. I wish the little blonde luck and head towards my car. The bull dyke, tattooed and shaved head (except for a front anime-style tuft), is busy accosting anyone who is sitting in their car. I hop in mine and get the hel out of there before she gets to my car again. It was close.

I follow the Thruway down to the Tappan Zee Bridge and pay the $4.50 for the toll without bothering with the rolled coin this time. I don’t feel like pushing Murphy anymore. Within a short time I am on the Sawmill Parkway and zooming towards Pleasantville, NY. I roll into Pat’s driveway at 5:04pm and call Paul.

A short while later Jannie rolls in and we greet each other and she let’s me into the house (see picture of the back of his house on the Picture Log). A rambling conversation later Jannie’s out the door to her nail appointment and I sit there waiting for Pat and Monty to arrive. Just about 6, the two of them pull in with Pat’s adorable daughter and we start the commiserating. Dinner ordered and a Jannie’s return later and we are all chatting away the hours to Monty’s and mine departure.

11:24pm: Monty and I hit the road to D.C.

The first real snag of the trip hits as we run into the Tappan Zee backup. 15 minutes of 4 lane backup and we finally get moving again. Not bad for a snag.

A quick stop in Jersey at a BP for $3.78 a gallon in gas and we pickup the Jersey Turnpike south. Much discussion later … much discussion… we pass thru a few toll stops (nearly $20) and we hit Baltimore. By now it’s time to get out of the car to stretch again and Monty wants to buy batteries for my CD player so he can play his mix CDs. We see a sign for a “Travel Plaza” and take the offramp for it. We get to the light immediately after the offramp and look about … no “Travel Plaza.” We drive a bit and spot the “Travel Plaza” which causes a red light to be run. Luckily, it’s late at night and no one is around.

The “Travel Plaza” is similar to a Petro but with much less newness then ours in Waterloo. However, Paul, it did have an arcade with pool table, the Fast and the Furious driving game and many others …

to be continued…

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

@thrym wrote:

Thrym’s Travelogue

12:20 pm – Wednesday – May 28th 2008

…We drive a bit and spot the “Travel Plaza” which causes a red light to be run. Luckily, it’s late at night and no one is around…

to be continued…

In Maryland when that happened? You may be receiving a red-light ticket some time in your near future. 😕

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

You may be receiving a red-light ticket some time in your near future.

Which he can ignore, because they can’t arrest you for not paying it if you’re from out of state, hehe…..

M3C

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

You better hope that applies to not suspending vehicle registrations, as well. Just sayin’…

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

The red light isn’t confirmed as it was a last minute … “you might have just run that light” … we’ll see.

More to come.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Uh, it was a “T, you just ran that DOUBLE red light…..” “What red light?”

🙂

M3C

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.