Time to ramp it up for a new year. – Part I

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Time to ramp it up for a new year. – Part I

This topic contains 392 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar muddy October 12, 2009 at 12:50 pm.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 393 total)
  • Author
    BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Combine was just in. Long, long dry spell coming up. So, if you know enough to say so, who do you want (realistically) for your team in the upcoming draft?

I want LenDale White for the Steelers. Dude is big, strong, runs North South. Perfect Steeler back. We’ll never get a whiff of him. I screamed for Larry Johnson a few years ago. Callin my shot here.

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

A.J Hawk is looking like he might be a fit for us. Mean, nasty LB with great instincts and size. The tape i’ve seen impresses me, he’s got a bit of Greg/ray-ray in him.

Our LB corps needs the upgrade in the worst way. What will be interesting is if any of those top QB’s fall because it will get Al’s wheels spinning ( something that doesnt always please me).

In this case I wouldn’t mind since I’ve soured on Collins quite a bit, dude just can’t win despite his numbers.

The big worry in this draft is there are about 5/6 BIG time prospects then its falls to a massive middle ground. A very noticable drop-off in talent . I worry that if we miss one , we trade down and screw ourselves.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

AJ Hawk…

Brian Bosworth or Zach Thomas. YOU make the call.

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

No way to know until he plays, just look at the TE who shot up because he is 255 pounds running a 4.4 and blew away everyone in the agility drills.

John Clayton says he is a top 8 pick now…screams Ricky Dudley to me tho.

This means, of course, we’ll take him *glum nod*

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

http://www.nflreport.com/mock1.htm

I called it first! This (probably really crappy or old) mock draft has White to P-Burgh. WOO!

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

I think Mel has us taking Jay Cutler(QB) now.

I’m seeing White going to the Ravensat 13 btw, he’d replace Jamal in that offense. His stock has been rising.

I also see San Fran taking Hawk and the Raiders taking that DT, Ngata, he’s a LOAD. This would please me. I’d like the DE Mario Williams better but he won’t be around, they are slinging Julius Peppers comparisons around and people wll jump at that.

Mind you , if Al gets involved ( and you know they bring him out of the coffin for this), all bets are off.

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

Oh well. Daunte, Brees and Kitna went without a nibble from us .

Certainly gives some credence that we are going after Vince in the draft.

Although Josh McCown remains interesting or last years rookie Walter.

Anyone but KFC.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

The Cats have added some beef (and gotten younger) on the line, both on O and D.

areas of need:
    WR/TE (Smith needs someone that can be a threat NOW on the other side of the field) and a durable RB. They also need some depth at LB. Depends on who falls to the Panthers in the first round.

Brak, Isn’t Ronald Curry a FA?

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

@g_kinkaid wrote:

Brak, Isn’t Ronald Curry a FA?

Keep yer grubby mitts off my receivers, we just restructured him.

This means once again we can watch him and Doug Gabriel battle for the slot postion for like the 4th straight year in an endless battle of ” who can stay healthy”.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Somebody didn’t perform very well at the USC pro day.

His stock is falling…

Falling to the 32nd pick???

Come to the Steelers fatboy. Ya know ya want to.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

LenDale… LenDALE!!!

ESPN has him falling to 32. Get this kid behind our line and watch him go!

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

Cool look at the draft broken down by position, round and color coded to note % starting for the team that drafted them or starting elsewhere.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/04/24/ramblings/nfl-draft/3828/

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

So… *looks around idly*

Certain receiver with great potential… that never fully materialized has decided he needs out of Oaktown.

*shakes head*

You didn’t see this type of behavior in Raider Nation before. Used to be these guys were harmonious. Hearts of gold. Team first.

What IS the world coming to.

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

Art put the hammer down and called him out in a meeting. No more inmates running the asylum.

Not like Doug Gabriel can’t take his place. JP should have cracked 1,000 several seasons ago and can’t seem to realize he hasn’t yet.

One 100 yard game in a season doesn’t cut it to mouth off to the coach. I had hopes for him but won’t miss him, he caught T.O. disease.

Gabriel’s numbers are comparable.

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

Two notes on the preseason

The Viking’s new uniforms are seriously ugly

The Flyin Hawaiian could drop two tenths of a second off his 40 times if he’d cut off some of the air drag behind his helmet.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

NEVAR! He is teh Sampson!

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

Well he certainly is not a duck hunter *snicker*

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Told Brak I heard this. I hear it every year about the Raiders.

Every
    Stinkin
    Year

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/APWires/football/D8JLD7A00.html

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

GREAT read here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/060822

Highlights, for those of you that are Madden/Foolsball fans.

35 — The strength rating for Eagles receiver Todd Pinkston. How weak is Stinkston? Thirty-nine kickers and punters are given higher ratings. Thirty-nine. Yikes. If that’s not a punch in the frail, tender, feeble stomach, then I don’t know what is. In fact, I’m kind of excited to fire up Madden ’07 to see if the game’s programmers switched Pinkston’s mug shot with that of a cat. Might as well hammer home the point, huh?

62 — Tom Brady’s strength rating — a rather pedestrian number. Especially considering Brady has been taking steroids nonstop for the better part of a decade due to his close, personal relationship with Barry Bonds’ trainer, Greg Anderson. (It’s true, I read it on the Internet.)

Comment: IT WAS A FUMBLE!!!!

35 — Not that Pinkston is the only non-kicker to get a 35 strength rating. Eagles receiver and kick returner Jeremy Bloom got one, too. So remember, Eagles fans: just tap that pass button in Madden ’07. You don’t want Donovan McNabb to accidentally kill his waifish receiving corps with high-velocity throws.

21 — The lowest toughness rating in the game, which was given to Carolina Panthers punter Jason Baker. I can’t recall any especially cowardly behavior during Baker’s career, but that doesn’t matter; he’s a wimp in Madden. The games are in stores and there’s no way to change it now. So, Jason, you should know that the folks at EA Sports think you’re an enormous pansy. Now, now — don’t cry. It’s nothing personal.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

wow

Chicago just got punked by Arizona? How does Chicago not romp all over ‘zona’s pitiful Oline? Leinhart did well vs. Chi starting D too.

I hear the Raiders looked good tonight. Wow @ Brooks (even if it is preseason and even if it is vs Det). 9/15 187 2 TD’s 0 INT’s 0 fumblerooskies… Detroit’s D is (or at least was last year) respectable… very interesting night.

Heh, R. Moss 3 catches for 102 yards and 2 TD’s with a long of 63, Dre Bly has been overrated for about 4 years now. Not to diminish what Moss did at all, I just love seeing a #1 WR put up some gaudy numbers on Det and hear their fans barrage of excuses.

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

So whats the over/under on downs played by T.O. this year about 10?

I suspect Todd Pinkston got overrated in the strenght department. He’s over 6 feet tall and weighs something like 120 pounds. Proof that even Ethiopia sends players to the NFL.

*short moment of silence* With the retirement of Jerry Rice, the NFL has lost yet another player from Tecmo Superbowl. Who does that still leave? Ricky Phroel and Shawn Landetta? Was Brad Johnson a backup to Wilson for Minnisota on that game? I’m having a hard time remembering.

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

The Raiders went 4-0 in the pre-season for the first time ever I think, basically proving our scrubs are better than other people’s scrubs. However , I AM happy to see improvement from game to game.

I listened to the Detroit game…amazing what happens when you THROW to Randy Freaking Moss isn’t it Aaron ?

Did somebody say TECMO ???!!

BOW BEFORE TECMO BO !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAgfY_NHzw

I don’t recall on Brad Johnson and tecmo…

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

That’s some serious clock management.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, here we are again. The free agency scramble has slowed, the combine has passed and most of the pro day workouts are done.

my take on the cats offseason so far.

Free agency- some contract refiddling was needed and was done. We let some guys go that needed not be retained ( Weinkie and career special teams guy Hankton) but we’re taking some risk with guys who are getting older and or have injury problems.. we’re real thin at MLB and both SS/FS (old man Minter just can’t cover the field anymore) and lack a real backup qb. Depth issues have really hampered this team the last 3 seasons.

Staff changes – new OC and some assistants. Henning’s Tecmo bowl offense had to go and it’s gone, hurrah.

draft? ehh, we gotta get a LB or S with our first pick. Probably address the other with the second (Unless Beck is still around).

or do we…. heh, the possibilities!

Time to share some via youtube.
    since I dropped the name earlier, here’s a Beck vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCgH6sTEeP8. Nobody in the world knows this (uber secret) but he came to Charlotte to visit our staff today. Not that it means anything come draft day, or 30 min after he leaves.

*edit*
    BTW, buddy of mine was playing a round of golf a couple days ago, ran into none other than The Chin and Chin jr. He seems to be digging Carolina living.

Mr. Fox (and about 1/2 of the HC’s in the leage for that matter) yer seat is gonna be kinda hot this season.

**double bonus edit**
    David Carr and Domanik Williams (formerly Davis) just got their walking papers… boy, that sure was nice of their teams to release them NOW instead of the beginning of FA.

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

OH YE FOOTBALL GODS REJOICE!!

I hearbye vow not to badmouth the Evil Empire (Disney) or its junior partner, the Punk Empire (ESPN) for a period of 24 hours. Why might one ask?

BECAUSE ITS SAFE TO WATCH MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL AGAIN!!

MNF drops Joe Theisman in favor of Ron Jawarsky. All my prays have been answered. Ok at least one, the second being Kornheiser getting turned into a baby harp seal at an eskimo hunter convention. I guess I can’t have everything.

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

*interest peeked*

harp seal hunting?

*grabs his dull wooden club*

I am IN!

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Muddy, you ever going to go dinosaur fish hunting?

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

dinosaur fish? what did i say that i drank out of my memory that night?

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

There was this fish you showed me a pic of, was some carnasoreass lookin mo-fo that was like 8 feet long. Jurassic Pike, if you will.

Bruce Campbell would have gone 3 rounds with it.

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

Lake Sturgeon. We have them up here you know. Not that it has anything to do with football.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 393 total)

The topic ‘Time to ramp it up for a new year. – Part I’ is closed to new replies.