Time to ramp it up for a new year. – Part I

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Time to ramp it up for a new year. – Part I

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 393 total)
  • Author
    muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

Ain’t seen no dinosaur fish since the water went hard on us. Right now everything is up and outta the banks, maybe in another month we’ll be back out on the water.

Lake sturgeon, cool fish.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

Darkhorse/sleeper that nobody knows.
    On the edge of the Texas Gulf is a 370-pound football player who can execute a perfect forward flip.
    “I feel like I’m a big secret,” Thomas said. “The secret of the draft.” Walter Thomas, 21, 6-foot-5 , can bench-press 475 pounds and squat 800. He has run the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds.
    Dude’s a monster, give him a chance with a late rounder. If he’s really leaving the thug life in his past (was arrested for conspiracy to commit robbery) he can be something special.

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

Can he catch?

Beowulf
    • Markshire PCs:

@Iathouz wrote:

Can he catch?

With power like that, does it matter? 🙂 Think about what the lad could to do a defensive line… and the poor, poor quarterback hiding behind it.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

You’re asking an offensive lineman. 🙂

You can have all the athletecism in the world. Application of it is something else entirely. But it WILL be fun to watch him for a couple years to see how he pans out.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

BTP, remember a while back we talked briefly about Laron Landry? Well, he did real dang good at his workouts, ran the 2nd fastest 40 among all db’s in the draft, which got his stock rising.. well at least among the draftexpert message board fanatics.

Verily I say that I am not wanting to seeing that gentleman harassing CAR for the next decade or so whilest wearing the dreaded colors of ATL. Hopefully they’ll draft a kicker instead.. you know, Morten Anderson /is/ getting kinda elderly.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

I do remember you showing me those videos. Kid looked badass. ANd yeah, all signs are pointed to him trying to knock the stuffing out of Mister Smith and Co. for some time to come.

Guess his brother was a late round pick by the Ravens last year, and started most of the season at safety. Earned a record amount of money in the NFL’s performance based incentive system.

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

@Beowulf wrote:

With power like that, does it matter? 🙂 Think about what the lad could to do a defensive line… and the poor, poor quarterback hiding behind it.

yes, and if he was good at football he’d be known

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

Personally, I’d like to get Reggie Nelson. I have heard comparisons to Ed Reed, and if the Steelers are going Tampa-2 over the next couple of years, safeties that can run and cover, you know, NOT like Roy Williams, are handy. If there was a Reed/Dawkins next to Troy I could be very entertained.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

I’m hoping CAR goes for Nelson as well, some draft experts have us picking up a freaking TE…. now, our current te’s are nothing to brag about but “Old man winter minter” is not only in decline, but he’s retiring after this season, Shaun Williams was disappointing and Howard or whoevertheheck else we’re currently advertising as a safety finished the season on ir. We’re hurting in a bad bad way at both S positions. I can’t see Carolina drafting anything else… of course, I don’t get to chat with the staff every day and I don’t know what realistic options they are entertaining.

btw, nfl.com compares Nelson to Bdawk.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

I’ll live with whatever bland pick they make. My only wish is a bubba back. I like Davenport, but I have read a lot about Micheal Bush from Louisville. If the kid is healthy he is supposed to be a monster. Be a nice 2nd round pick.

Oh, and the Cats can just put Peppers at safety. Slike Jenkins over to pass rushing end. Yeah… nice…

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

While the Jenkins/Peppers idea is neat, Jenkins may be hours away from being ar Ram or Viking. I’m kinda torn on those trade rumors, Jenkins wasn’t back to old form last season, but he had been out of football due to injuries most of the 2 seasons before.. he’s still got plenty of years of good football ahead of him and still has the speed and power to be great.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

I think part of what makes the line great as a whole are the parts. Jenkins is a big cog in that.

I bitched about the Steelers drafting Casey Hampton years ago.
    I was oh so wrong.

Casey ain’t pretty.

Casey can’t dance…

But dude plugs the middle of the field.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

thinking of your team.. I keep seeing that commercial with Rothelsbergurgler (your QB IIRC) … you know the one for FATHEADS…. *sighs* giant stickers… how expensive are they? Why are they better than posters?

– mule

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

A few draft notes:

Honestly….CAN THE MEDIA PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT BRADY QUINN!? Enough all ready. Its like he’s the only guy in the draft, First two picks didn’t get half the coverage.

I hate you Cleveland. Can you feed Dallas any more picks?

Interesting draft for my Eagles. Coaches are defending it all ready. Wise move for them trading out of the first round for a few extra pick instead of taking Kolb at 26 which they would have without the trade. I’m hearing a few too many assurances being tossed to McNabb to be believable. The was a comment made by our Of. Co. about taking the best player on the board and “a few other reasons” on why they went QB. I get suspicious when they start sounding corporate.

Someone needs to nail Mooch’s hands to the desk. I thought he was using sign language for a moment.

Oh great gods of the NFL, thank you for not having Mel Kiper in this years draft. It was so nice to hear a prediction after the third pick actually be right.

Steelers drafting linebackers… go figure. At least they haven’t changed their philosophy.

Randy Moss… must be he wanted a more challenging head coach to get try to get fired.

*sigh* This year’s draft was in bad need of loaded fries. Couldn’t put anything together because of the cubscout event sandwich. Tour of a museum in the morning, pack meeting at night = whole day gone. At least I got my lawn mowed between picks on Sunday.

muddy
    • Markshire PCs:

I saw a bit of the draft, I liked watching Quinn be uncomfortable the first 2 hours. Poor sap, still went 22nd or somewhere near there… gunna make more months than I will my whole life.

How about that dude from Ohio State, the heisman trophy wiener, going LAST?! Don’t tell me Troy Smith wasn’t puckered up tighter than a drum when they started making that last pick announcement! 😆

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

Here’s some training video of one of our 2nd round picks..
    He does well vs the swim but once the trainer goes low he gives up…. kinda disturbing.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

I did not like the Eagles draft at all. Seemed to lack… anything resembling impact in the next 3 years?

Was it me or did the Raiders do.. WELL this weekend? I mean, they drafted some players, traded for some players. They took the back I wanted in Michael Bush. Got rid of Randy… I sense a disturbance in the force.

domf
    • Markshire PCs:

@Iathouz wrote:

Honestly….CAN THE MEDIA PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT BRADY QUINN!? Enough all ready. Its like he’s the only guy in the draft, First two picks didn’t get half the coverage.

I hate you Cleveland. Can you feed Dallas any more picks?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

he is the only one that matters Iathouz…dont crush all of our hope, please.

Iathouz
    • Markshire PCs:

@BeyondThePale wrote:

I did not like the Eagles draft at all. Seemed to lack… anything resembling impact in the next 3 years?

The holes the team had from last season were all addressed nicely in free agency with the addition of a solid receiver, solid defensive end, and depending on how well he gets over his injury, a pro bowl linebacker. Even if Takeo Spikes isn’t able to go, the two linebackers from last year’s draft looked good by the end of last season.

Drafting a QB seems strange, but they got a kid who started 50 games in college, can make all the throws, and is fairly mobile. Donovan’s body hasn’t been holding up well over the last several years. In three more seasons he’ll be ready to retire, by then we’ll have someone who knows the system in and out. Also, they got the 3rd QB taken in the draft, at a price they can afford to keep around for a while.

The linebacker drafted this year has a good chance at being a starter early in the season as does the DE.

Word at the draft was a lot of teams were shopping players. The Eagles seem to think that some quality players will become available come June. By trading out of the first round they saved money to be able to pursue higher priced talent that becomes available.

Did the Eagles get instant impact from this draft? Hard to say until the season starts. The team is returning 20 of 22 starters and has enough depth that they don’t have draft for the moment. Its a good position to be in.

I’m curious who they are going to sign as rookie free agents. They always seem to find a few gems.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

Check out Carolina’s 5th round pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5igbMW9AeNw

Shaw is a “high motor” player. With his “gritty play” and “moxy” he’s sure to be a “fan favorite”. His “hard work ethic” makes him a real “locker room guy”. While he isn’t very big, he “plays big” and has “deceptive speed”.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

@G_kinkaid wrote:

On the edge of the Texas Gulf is a 370-pound football player who can execute a perfect forward flip.
    “I feel like I’m a big secret,” Thomas said. “The secret of the draft.” Walter Thomas, 21, 6-foot-5 , can bench-press 475 pounds and squat 800. He has run the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds.

Because I’m sure everyone is dying to know.

The Saints picked him up after the draft, He lasted all of 15 minutes of the first minicamp (individual drills) before having to be helped off the field. He was cut after that practice.

Training camp can’t get here soon enough.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

I was curious. Thanks!

I may actually make my way over to watch Bills Camp this year. They practice right down the road from my house. I think all the a-holes are gone and I can go and enjoy it.

Brak
    • Markshire PCs:

@G_kinkaid wrote:

@G_kinkaid wrote:

Because I’m sure everyone is dying to know.

The Saints picked him up after the draft, He lasted all of 15 minutes of the first minicamp (individual drills) before having to be helped off the field. He was cut after that practice.

Training camp can’t get here soon enough.

Actually I was curious, I kept hearing about him during the draft but lost track of him.
    I’m glad I wasn’t the only one following him. I was postive we’d pick him up and he’d turn into Leon Bender part 2 and die on the toilet.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

HEY! Bender was a 1st round draft pick! He died pushing out 15 post draft celebratory surf and turf dinners.

(Yes, I know he was a second, but it was like the 31st pick or something, a 1st rounder today, and still a dubious scenario)

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:
    BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

What the hell is that?

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

@BeyondThePale wrote:

What the hell is that?

That’s yer mascot homie. Note his mighty chin.

BeyondThePale
    • Markshire PCs:

I note no chin. This is obviously some sort of chicanery. Small, barely visible figures in a 9×9 pixel image.

I denounce your mascot.

G_kinkaid
    • Markshire PCs:

@BeyondThePale wrote:

I note no chin. This is obviously some sort of chicanery. Small, barely visible figures in a 9×9 pixel image.

I denounce your mascot.

Denouncement doesn’t make it any less true. There’s even a name the mascot thing going on right now. NFLN broke the story of the mascot last night.

http://news.steelers.com/article/75934/

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_115165009.html

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 393 total)
  • The topic ‘Time to ramp it up for a new year. – Part I’ is closed to new replies.