Wanted: Your ideas for expanding crafting in MS1!

Home Forums Discussion Forums Out of Game Wanted: Your ideas for expanding crafting in MS1!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Dear all,

‘Cuz (who has been roped into…I mean graciously agreed to help out) and I are working on a large update to the recipes included in the crafting scripts on MS1. As such, we are interested in hearing what everyone’s thoughts are on what recipes they would like to see added. Is there an item out there that your crafting character would like to be able to create? Is there a resource out there that doesn’t seem to have a use, which sticks in your craw? This is the time to let us know.

Now these ideas could be for items that are purely roleplay oriented (a la the recently added toys), they could be expansions of currently implemented recipes, they could be items that can be purchased now, but your character would like to be able to make for themselves. We want to hear all your ideas, and none are too small.

The plan is to assemble these ideas, work on the details of getting them in game, and then send a large update to T for him to implement into the game. The tentative goal is to send these to T sometime towards the end of September, which will give us plenty of time for testing, etc.

Now let me mention a couple of things:

Not all items are suitable for addition to CNR recipes. The power level, gold value and difficulty in creation for all proposed additions will be decided upon by the DM crew.

Although we will consider changing current recipes, the real intent here is to add new things. Current recipes, bugs notwithstanding, appear to be functioning appropriately.

Any changes or additions will in the end be subject to further adjustment if it turns out that something a little out of whack is implemented.

Lastly, the entire crafting angle is a great jumping off point for interesting role playing. Those characters who consider themselves to be masters at their chosen trade, and wish to attempt the crafting of interesting items over and above the implemented recipes, can definitely request character development sessions to work towards achieving this. Needless to say, this is out of my hands, and in the hands of the DMs.

Now, let’s hear those ideas. The best way to let us know is to post them here or PM Cuz or me (that’s preferable to in game tells, since that’s the time when we’re trying play too).

Thanks!
    LT and ‘Cuz

lorgin_2003
    • Markshire PCs:

i got a couple.

some good robes and padded armor in the tailoring. some for mages, and some for monks and rogues. maybe some with damage resistance/reduction, and for the rogues, something that adds to their key skills.

also, for an rp aspect, some similar to a tennis ball or a racquetball. they’re good for training hand-eye coordination, or for juggling.

a way to enchant weapons with an effect instead of the extra d6 damage would be awesome. such as daze, stun, confusion, poison, a really low vampiric regen, or even level or stat drain for the evil characters.

Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

@lorgin_2003 wrote:

and for the rogues, something that adds to their key skills.

You mean like the ones the Shady random merchants sell in Stonemark and Foothold?

Shanara
    • Markshire PCs:

I’d like to see the dye added to the tailoring models and also having the option to be able to buy the outfit you create instead of just copying it to your current clothing which doesn’t work if the AC is different.

Thrym
    Keymaster

@Shanara wrote:

I’d like to see the dye added to the tailoring models and also having the option to be able to buy the outfit you create instead of just copying it to your current clothing which doesn’t work if the AC is different.

That’s not the CNR system there girly. That’s the imported Tailoring System off the vault.

We won’t be tweaking that.

However, crafting the dyes would be nice.

lorgin_2003
    • Markshire PCs:

@Thrym wrote:

@lorgin_2003 wrote:

and for the rogues, something that adds to their key skills.

You mean like the ones the Shady random merchants sell in Stonemark and Foothold?

yeah, but more skills and slightly more points involved. the gear with +2-3 on one skill is only useful for your first few levels. a robe along the lines of +1 AC, +5 hide and move silently would be perfect for all levels able to use it. maybe some gaunlets that add +5 to your pick locks and +1 DEX would be pretty useful too. or even something like padded armor that has a +2 WIS, and a pierce resist of 5 for monks.

Voran Falcona
    • Markshire PCs:

Is there already a way to enchant arrows to make fire/ice/poison/etc. arrows?

I don’t know if it’s possible to restrict the use of a certain CNR recipe to a particular class, but if so, I’d like to see Clerics be able to gather/craft worship pieces (?) to appease their God and have that God add holy damage to a certain weapon.

The aforementioned process is a bit weak. Perhaps I should work on it some more. Still, the end result will be the same: Clerics dealing holy damage.

Cuz
    • Markshire PCs:

All great stuff so far! Keep it going. We are taking these ideas and working them out within the context of the Markshire game world, so keep the ideas coming.

As LT mentioned, each item is considered on it’s own merit, and by a group of folks. Don’t be discouraged if your idea doesn’t make the list or if it is changed somewhat from the vision you have. We are trying to do the right things for the Server. That said, we entertain all crafting ideas and appreciate your feedback.

I for one am thrilled with the response so quickly!

‘Cuz

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

@Voran Falcona wrote:

Yes, all in game, unknown to me how much people are using it.

@Voran Falcona wrote:

I don’t know if it’s possible to restrict the use of a certain CNR recipe to a particular class, but if so, I’d like to see Clerics be able to gather/craft worship pieces (?) to appease their God and have that God add holy damage to a certain weapon.

The aforementioned process is a bit weak. Perhaps I should work on it some more. Still, the end result will be the same: Clerics dealing holy damage.

Well, clerics and paladins are the only ones who can ‘harvest’ holy water from the holy pools in the temples, as it checks for bless in the PC’s spell memory. This holy water can be used to make silver weapons which have a bonus to hit and damage undead.

This is great folks. Keep em coming!

Dyes are a great idea, we’re already going crazy with that.

LT

lorgin_2003
    • Markshire PCs:

i just thought of another one. a lantern that looks cool, with an AC bonus on it. something to make up for not being able to use a sheild with it.

ooh! and bardic instruments would be cool too.

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

@lorgin_2003 wrote:

i just thought of another one. a lantern that looks cool, with an AC bonus on it. something to make up for not being able to use a sheild with it.

ooh! and bardic instruments would be cool too.

Unfortunately, due to a technical issue, torches and torch derived items can’t have an AC bonus. I know this is lame, and I wish it weren’t so, but it is. Still, maybe it could cast shield once a day or something.

Bardic instruments are also being discussed, great idea!

LT

Shanara
    • Markshire PCs:

@Thrym wrote:

@Shanara wrote:

That’s not the CNR system there girly. That’s the imported Tailoring System off the vault.

We won’t be tweaking that.

However, crafting the dyes would be nice.

*giggles* Shows how much I know about the system. 😉

Osay
    • Markshire PCs:

I would like to see the use out of more skins like the wolf, rat, bat, etc. for making belts, gloves, bracers and such. If you used enchanting oil in the mix would open it up for further enchantment like bracers of archery(better with the bow) or gloves to increase pick lock skill. Belts or girdles to be enchanted with Str, Con or Dex bonuses. Wolf hide cloak for warmth or bags(like miners pack)…if enchanting oil is thrown in the mix could give a 10 or 20% weight reduction. …and who cant use that? Then the crafts that make the rounds through the many crafts like making a belt with tailoring, taken and put in a bath of tonics(alchemy) then insetting gems(gem crafting) then enchanting it to give the user a bonus of +1 to his Charisma score.
    All the ones I’m listing would require many steps from the creation of the item then to futher enchanting.
    I’ve also noticed an increase in the number of ox I see but the skin is useless, perhaps something can be added for this…like hardy boots which could give a warmth bonus or something.
    Of coarse a lot of mine are from the tailoring craft as I have not gotten into a lot of the other crafting.

Hope these ideas help.

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

@Osay wrote:

I would like to see the use out of more skins like the wolf, rat, bat, etc. for making belts, gloves, bracers and such. If you used enchanting oil in the mix would open it up for further enchantment like bracers of archery(better with the bow) or gloves to increase pick lock skill. Belts or girdles to be enchanted with Str, Con or Dex bonuses.

Definitely great ideas that can be incorporated.

@Osay wrote:

Wolf hide cloak for warmth or bags(like miners pack)…if enchanting oil is thrown in the mix could give a 10 or 20% weight reduction. …and who cant use that?

Special bags are in game already. 🙂 But I definitely agree that there are some leathers out there that have no real use. That is part of what we’re looking to remedy here. So wolf and deer leather have nothing special. Any other leathers you can think of?

@Osay wrote:

Then the crafts that make the rounds through the many crafts like making a belt with tailoring, taken and put in a bath of tonics(alchemy) then insetting gems(gem crafting) then enchanting it to give the user a bonus of +1 to his Charisma score.
    All the ones I’m listing would require many steps from the creation of the item then to futher enchanting.

This is a great approach as well, since it opens up possibilities for people to collaborate on items.

@Osay wrote:

Of coarse a lot of mine are from the tailoring craft as I have not gotten into a lot of the other crafting.

That’s one reason why we threw this open to everyone, so that those who are really focusing on a craft can tell us what they’d like to see. It’s actually been a bit since I’ve done much crafting, and when I have crafted it’s from a limited selection of skills.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Unfortunately, due to a technical issue, torches and torch derived items can’t have an AC bonus

I’ll have to check out a certain lantern that I thought had an AC bonus.. either way it does have powers.. so maybe not an AC bonus for a torch, but it could certainly have other bonuses added to it. DR and SR are one’s i’m sure of.

I have some general suggestions. I’d like to see that crafters can either make all the stuff that can be found in markshire or at least stuff of comparable power. I’ve always felt that overall the high end stuff you can find beats the high end stuff that can be crafted. I don’t think that this stuff should be easy to make but it definitely should be possible. Barring that, maybe have them make stuff that I would consider giving up some of my found items for. Right now all I have on Ghak that’s crafted is a platinum helm and an Iron shield (which may get enchanted someday).

That being said, how about some more shield options. Right now all you can do with a shield is make them elemental resistant IIRC. That’s well and fine but boring. How about one with SR and some with spells. You could even make them varying levels of SR and the spells, well there’s not end to them but you could have part of the recipe for the spells being a scroll (the CNR crafted kind) with that spell on it. This would tie in mages and clerics for those spells.

– mule

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

I’de like to see magic staves for arcane or divine casters that wouldn’t necessarily cast spells, but have bonuses that would help a caster such as concentration, spellcraft, lore, animal emp or add bonus spell slots. It really doesnt help a caster to craft a +1 staff with 1d6 acid damage. There should be more of a variety of the way the staves look. There are only a few in the game, those sold at the abbey.

Crafting musical instruments that add to Bard skills (perform, extra spell slots) or that cast low level bard spells would be nice too.

I also agree with the idea of adding more varieties of shields and adding low level effects to weapons.

I’m not sure this necessarily pertains to crafting, but those ugly tan cloak need to be colored. I know you can make them disappear, but there are some unique styles that would look good if we could add the colors.

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

I’m with mule. I think you should add some ultra high end Items that are very hard to make, this way pCs who are solely dedicated to CNR can have something to do. I’m a little nervous that I am near the end of the CNR road, Wile it is true I have not even come close to making EVERYTHING that is possible, I have made most of the major things at least once, including enchanted weapons. All ingots, save Titanium and Mithril, Copper, Bronze, and Iron weapons are all trivial for me. Ive made a lightning weapon and shield, but how much farther can I got with that? Fire? That is the hardest weapon to make, so once Tarl’ makes a few, he will really not have much else to strive for. An I would hate to pester the DMs for CDS all the time.

And also I think everything should give some form of XP for success weather trivial or not, even if it is just a simple 1xp for the whole lot. It doesn’t matter that it is “easy” so is killing a rat in the mines but you still get 1XP for that.

Boost

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

How about things that never get used really…

Sling of lightning! Darts of Confusion!?! Acorn of petrification? Err… you get the idea.

Elemental summoning bowls? Odd stuff… Lute of Rat swarm!?

Thrym
    Keymaster

@Valgrimm wrote:

I’m not sure this necessarily pertains to crafting, but those ugly tan cloak need to be colored. I know you can make them disappear, but there are some unique styles that would look good if we could add the colors.

It requires a HAK. Not gonna happen.

Plus I mentioned upfront that I wouldn’t support them as they were a waste of time and effort when BW added them.

It was a HAK on the vault before BW forced it on us.

There was nothing else of any real value in the last update.

Thrym
    Keymaster

@BoostNJuice wrote:

And also I think everything should give some form of XP for success weather trivial or not, even if it is just a simple 1xp for the whole lot. It doesn’t matter that it is “easy” so is killing a rat in the mines but you still get 1XP for that.

While you have a point I don’t agree directly with it.

Once you hit the trivial stage you’ve garnered all you can from crafting that product directly. However, indirectly you use that item for something else. Either it’s a component in another item or you sell it or use it directly.

Killing things is the end point of combat. The act of killing something can’t of itself be employed elsewhere. So we still issue the 1xp.

And while you can kill a lot of rats at a time you can’t match the level of trivial (automatic) item production.

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

@Thrym wrote:

@BoostNJuice wrote:

While you have a point I don’t agree directly with it.

Once you hit the trivial stage you’ve garnered all you can from crafting that product directly. However, indirectly you use that item for something else. Either it’s a component in another item or you sell it or use it directly.

Killing things is the end point of combat. The act of killing something can’t of itself be employed elsewhere. So we still issue the 1xp.

And while you can kill a lot of rats at a time you can’t match the level of trivial (automatic) item production.

But if you only issue 1 crafting XP, not adventuring XP that should keep it from becoming exploitable. And if you just give 1 point for the whole load when a recipe is tirvial, and if someone is going to load say, a thousand copper nuggets, one at a time to get the 1 CNR XP each time, then let them, because that would take longer than crafting and failing a dozen times with something higher up.

And as far as learning all you can by making something, I have been a mechanic for 13 years, and I still learn new things, and more importantly new methods that are more productive, or produce a higher quality product. And a more experienced craftsman should be able to make something better and faster than a less experienced one. And another point I just thought of is no matter how good someone becomes at their trade, something can ALWAYS go wrong. So maybe a better idea than giving XP for trivial recipes would be, make 95% the best that can be archived, and then the XP is justified due to the potential for failure. And try to dodge that 1 baby!!!!

Also the value if things needs to be looked at, a bronze dagger is 2200gp, and a large shield of lightning, is 850gp, and an Adamantium full plate got me 1375gp. Found +1 weapons will get me almost 3000gp, but an Iron one made by me, also +1, only gets me 800gp?(all selling prices, not what one would pay for it with a merchant. And merchant reactions all favorable)Not sure what needs to be done here but it should be looked at.

And as long as I’m at it , the food is way to hard to make. I’ve had a harder time making flour than enchanting with the flour I made, and for all that aggravation, I’m still level 1(I think, maybe 2 by now), but I’m 6-9 in the others and I do them all about the same. And the other CNR stuff will give 20 -50+ XP for a recipe in the 45-55% range, Flour, gives you 6????

Ok, done for now.

8)

Thrym
    Keymaster

Well said Boost.

Your change of point is sound. Perhaps there shouldn’t be a trivial option and a permanent chance of failure.

While Lt and Cuz are offering to work on the CNR system any changes to the core system requires a lot of effort.

Unfortunately, all core system changes are on perma-hold pending completion of MS2.

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

@BoostNJuice wrote:

But if you only issue 1 crafting XP, not adventuring XP that should keep it from becoming exploitable. And if you just give 1 point for the whole load when a recipe is tirvial, and if someone is going to load say, a thousand copper nuggets, one at a time to get the 1 CNR XP each time, then let them, because that would take longer than crafting and failing a dozen times with something higher up.

I think an important issue to bring up here is that coding resources are limited. The initial post from LT and Cuz (if you’ll permit me to reiterate) is that the two of them are interested in increasing the number of recipes and available craftable items in the CNR system, not rewriting the system itself. At this stage in the game, puns excepted, there’s not much time available for rewriting in-game systems as opposed to updating the CNR database. One takes some discussion and a spell-check, while the other takes those steps in addition to coding and testing.

To sum up: those who code for MS have higher priorities at the moment than rewriting the CNR system. I recommend we stick with suggestions for more items instead…At least as far as MS1 is concerned.

lorgin_2003
    • Markshire PCs:

dude. that 95% maximum chance sounds badass. i’ve seen people thrown all ther eggs into the basket at 95% and fail, and that just makes everyone who needs the good to a community facepalm. on another server i played on a team of OOC married crafters made enchanted weapons for people, and when the enchanting husband failed with all his eggs at 95 % the wife whipped out her sword. it was hilarious and had to be calmed down from killing his mage ass.

another item that i feel is desperately needed in CNR are wands. it may be an assload of work to make them for all the spell levels up to 4th(i think?) but yo, i’ll straight dropkick a blind midget down a flight of stairs for some wands of darkness. maybe just do the normal buffs and a few other useful spells.

and a couple more potions to be able to be made. some ultravision, deathward and even the short lasting displacement.

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

@s-m-r wrote:

@BoostNJuice wrote:

I think an important issue to bring up here is that coding resources are limited. The initial post from LT and Cuz (if you’ll permit me to reiterate) is that the two of them are interested in increasing the number of recipes and available craftable items in the CNR system, not rewriting the system itself. At this stage in the game, puns excepted, there’s not much time available for rewriting in-game systems as opposed to updating the CNR database. One takes some discussion and a spell-check, while the other takes those steps in addition to coding and testing.

To sum up: those who code for MS have higher priorities at the moment than rewriting the CNR system. I recommend we stick with suggestions for more items instead…At least as far as MS1 is concerned.

You are so right. I just started typing and next thing you know….
    Sorry LT, and Cuz, I didn’t mean to jack your thread. Props to LT for the crafting system as we know it, and also th Cuz for gettin on board to better it.

So back on topic, how bought some concussive, and incendiary, things coming out of the alchemy camp? Black powder anyone? Napalm?

Cuz
    • Markshire PCs:

Vlan had a smilar suggestion. Something like the Firebomb (which probably covers both suggestions, Boost) rather than alchemist’s fire.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. We’ll look into them. *Pictures that scene in 300 when the firebomb rolls back to the giant pile o’ firebombs*

Sweet.

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

@’Cuz wrote:

Vlan had a smilar suggestion. Something like the Firebomb (which probably covers both suggestions, Boost) rather than alchemist’s fire.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. We’ll look into them. *Pictures that scene in 300 when the firebomb rolls back to the giant pile o’ firebombs*

Sweet.

Exactly! 8)

domf
    • Markshire PCs:

@Voran Falcona wrote:

They are a waste of time and are very involved to make with little to no reward…if they were tweaked a little bit then they might be worth making..but now…spending about 2 hours to make a stack of 20 arrows that lasts 4 rounds isnt worth it.

Also…they shouldnt be tweaked because then everyone would have them and it would drastically effect how magic items are on the world…along those lines…there shouldnt be extra uber items that are hard to make because they will undoubtedly be mass produced and exploited…just look at the +2 Acid Longswords everyone carries around. If you wanted to do something along those lines you would need to make sure every type of weapon was available or else it wouldnt be fair to those with unique builds (proficiencies etc)…

The whole point with being a Master of your craft is that you dont have a chance to fail. The 95% chance would kind of defeat the purpose of that. Your character shouldnt have to sit through smelting each ingot of platinum/mithril just because he is afraid to roll a 1 and lose everything he just spent all day mining

I say there is enough crafting stuff now as it stands…no one has made everything that is offered and if lots of stuff gets added then no one will want to go adventuring…maybe those firebombs…but there are already plenty of cloaks, staffs, belts, and bracers to last a lifetime in game…and there is also the underused option of perhaps one day getting a custom item from a DM.

Lt. Tyler
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

*opens arms wide* Somebody needs a hug! 😛 And you’re too young to be this cranky domf!

You do raise some good points, and I for one have no issues with this thread being not only about what new recipes could be added, but also about what role CNR should serve in the world (without needing to mention that regardless of what our discussion here generates, everything is subject to the vision that is the world of Markshire).

First, let me raise some of my own points and clarify things for people.

Some of what people are suggesting strikes me as a bit overpowered for adding to the CNR, including things like items with spell effects at certain use/day, etc. These kind of items are out there in game, but they are designed as unique items, and given out at the discretion of the DM team. And that is something to keep in the back of your mind. There is a upper limit to the powers of items appropriate to the world, and it seems reasonable that the best things one can craft from CNR will be lower power level than that. This leaves room for the DM granted items, making them something really special.

So to say it again, we’d like to expand on the recipes currently in game, keeping things broadly at the same power level. That means more variety, so people can choose what they want. Sure it may seem like no one is using it, and that there are plenty of items already there to craft, but the more that gets included the better.

My next general point is that many of these ideas are great, but many are somewhat general in nature. “More robes” to use just one example is good, but that kinda leaves us hanging. So, the more specific you can be, the easier it is for us to get rolling including those things.

Next, there may be an easy way to apply a min of 1 crafting XP. I’m not promising anything, but if it’s easy and the powers that be are down with it, it might happen.

Lastly, any +2 weapon with elemental damage out there is not from CNR. 🙂

More More More!

Osay
    • Markshire PCs:

@domf wrote:

I say there is enough crafting stuff now as it stands…no one has made everything that is offered and if lots of stuff gets added then no one will want to go adventuring…maybe those firebombs…but there are already plenty of cloaks, staffs, belts, and bracers to last a lifetime in game…and there is also the underused option of perhaps one day getting a custom item from a DM.

Yeah but for those people(like myself) who come on the server at 4 in the morning and noone is on to run around with or talk to….give them something to do…or if all of your running mates are already 30 miles away or you don’t really want to make another run through the orc caves….zzzzz.
    Plus options are good! 🙂

@Lt. Tyler wrote:

*opens arms wide* Somebody needs a hug! 😛 And you’re too young to be this cranky domf!

You do raise some good points, and I for one have no issues with this thread being not only about what new recipes could be added, but also about what role CNR should serve in the world (without needing to mention that regardless of what our discussion here generates, everything is subject to the vision that is the world of Markshire).

First, let me raise some of my own points and clarify things for people.

Some of what people are suggesting strikes me as a bit overpowered for adding to the CNR, including things like items with spell effects at certain use/day, etc. These kind of items are out there in game, but they are designed as unique items, and given out at the discretion of the DM team. And that is something to keep in the back of your mind. There is a upper limit to the powers of items appropriate to the world, and it seems reasonable that the best things one can craft from CNR will be lower power level than that. This leaves room for the DM granted items, making them something really special.

So to say it again, we’d like to expand on the recipes currently in game, keeping things broadly at the same power level. That means more variety, so people can choose what they want. Sure it may seem like no one is using it, and that there are plenty of items already there to craft, but the more that gets included the better.

My next general point is that many of these ideas are great, but many are somewhat general in nature. “More robes” to use just one example is good, but that kinda leaves us hanging. So, the more specific you can be, the easier it is for us to get rolling including those things.

Next, there may be an easy way to apply a min of 1 crafting XP. I’m not promising anything, but if it’s easy and the powers that be are down with it, it might happen.

Lastly, any +2 weapon with elemental damage out there is not from CNR. 🙂

More More More!

@Lt. Tyler wrote:

Special bags are in game already. 🙂 But I definitely agree that there are some leathers out there that have no real use. That is part of what we’re looking to remedy here. So wolf and deer leather have nothing special. Any other leathers you can think of?

Deer, Rat, Wolf,(Winter Wolf), Bat and… I don’t know if you missed it in my last post but what about the ox that are roaming around…..there is no use for the skins(I have one) is there any plans for the use of these skins or should I get rid of it?

Everybody likes bonuses 🙂 but I would just like to see more use of what has no use…like the wolf, rat pelts. I mean why can these skins be used to make leather pouches just as easly as badger or leather bags instead of miners packs or the use of any hide to make a “fur” cloak instead of a cloth one. Thats more of my intrest is just expanding the use of what is already there, being able to use some skins for more then one thing. I mean it might take 10 rat skins to make a leather sack but at least it would make more use for them…..cause all you can do with them now is make toys(hobbie horse I think) and wolf to make the leather balls.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.