Watchman clips

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Watchman clips

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Valgrimm July 28, 2008 at 7:21 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

BoostNJuice
    • Markshire PCs:

I’ve never heard of the watchmen, but that trailer makes it look quite baddA$$!!!

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

Watchmen is one of the top if not the best graphic novel series.

Graphic novels are fast becoming the best source for movies. The format allows for an easy conversion to film.

Just look at some of the outstanding graphic novel => movie conversions in the last 5 years.

V for Vendetta
    Hellboy
    Sin City
    Wanted

Graphic Novels I would like to see made into movies:

Captain Marvel
    Dreadstar – The original GN for this got me started writing and drawing.

And of course, if it’s a top selling franchise it’s had a graphic novel:

Batman
    Superman
    Spider-man
    Hulk – Planet Hulk / World War Hulk series are phenomenal
    Captain America
    Punisher
    Green Lantern

By far one of my favorite genres for storytelling.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

yeah no doubt. I am looking forward to the watchmen. You should really read that GN boost it has a lot of layers to it. I hear they’re gonna include the dark freighter meta-story in the DVD.

– mule

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Don’t you mean Comic Books?

What the heck is a graphic novel?

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Well, a comic book implies a serially published series with a never ending storyline. A graphic novel while in the comic book format of frames of artistically rendered scenes with speech or thought bubbles over characters usually covers a story arc much like a novel. Hence the term “graphic novel”… Not to mention the connotation that “comic book” is often given of “childish and not serious” which couldn’t be further from the truth in some cases. Just saying.

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

@thrym wrote:

Watchmen is one of the top if not the best graphic novel series.

Totally agree with you on that, T. I’ve not watched any of its trailers, but based upon the merit of the story alone, I’m willing to give this one a shot. Alan Moore may not be interested in assisting with the direction of any of his films, which is a total shame, but I have a strangely-placed and often-squashed bit of faith in this one.

There’s so much garbage coming out in film these days that I’ve pretty much stayed clear of the theatre unless it’s a matinee of one of the old classics (most recently I took myself out to see “Rebel Without A Cause” earlier this month, for example). Only if it’s a subject I’m completely enamored with will I go see a film without reservations; that way, I’ll know I’ll appreciate it regardless. But for blockbusters and typical movie fare, I only end up going to see one if I’m taking someone who wants to see it (No Country For Old Men falls into this category, and it’s become a solid addition to my short list), or it’s been quite some time and basically only glowing reviews have been posted for it.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Yeah this one is on my list to see just because of the Graphic novel as well. I hope the movie lives up to it somewhat. I don’t think everything coming out on film is utter drek. No country for old men was good, I hear there will be blood was pretty good too, and the Dark knight was definitely worth the price of admission just to see that portrayal of the Joker. But yeah, most things that are on the screen are junk.

– mule

Valgrimm
    • Markshire PCs:

Alan Moore is a story telling genius, but at the same time he’s an eccentric baby. The Watchman is a good read, better than V for Vendetta (which was much different than the movie). From what I’ve seen the Watchman movie will be dead on the Graphic Novel. I plan on rereading it before it comes out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.