Win XP, Service Pack 3

Home Forums Discussion Forums Makes you go, Hmmmm? Win XP, Service Pack 3

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  s-m-r August 10, 2008 at 2:06 am.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Anyone update to SP3 yet? It keeps asking me, and I keep putting it off, because I know that Microsoft likes to “break” things to help push you to the next OS.
    I know I’m going to have to do it, but I wanted to see if there was a very significant risk in doing so, or is it like the SP1 to SP2, where not much changed (except Windows got slower).
    Also, does it install IE7 at the same time? If so, I doubt I’ll do it, then, as I hate IE7.

M3C

Thrym
    Thrym
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs: Grottle, Gruzk, Ashimar

Yes. I updated. Took little time. Seems solid.

Both at work and at home.

Quit whining about IE7. They stopped supporting IE6. You can rearrange the entire layout of the interface to work like IE6 or any other format if you want to.

Yes, Micro-soft-in-the-head decided to go in their own direction for interface but it still works WAY better then IE6 at rendering websites properly AND you can use the latest third-party stuff with it.

If you really don’t like it switch to FireFox, Safari, Opera, or something else that’s caught up with the modern era.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

*Gives him the Raspberry* I DO use FF, since you made me get it, and it’s great. But I still use IE for certain things (like testing web stuff), and it’s still out there being used…….

🙂

M3C

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

I upgraded to SP3 at home not too long ago (like last weekend, I think) and everything appears fine. Restarting after the install didn’t work as it was intended to (not a real shocker there), but other than that there have been no problems.

And yeah, I second using FireFox at the moment, though I did learn recently that they’re heavily sponsored by Google, which is a personal let-down. I’ll be investigating Opera next.

Corgano
    Participant
    • Markshire PCs:

*Bites finger nails debating on weather to update or not* Maybe I’ll do it this weekend… maybe.

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Oh c’mone, DO IT!! Everyone else here is. And some of them are older than you. That means you have to do it Cor. Do it. Doo it.

I am still waiting. Why? Pure unadulterated laziness.

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

I am still waiting. Why? Pure unadulterated laziness.

The voice of Washington State, the very home of the beast…. Yeah, sure, it’s because he’s lazy…..Yeah, that’s the ticket….

*Watches Opi watching to see if everyones else’s box blows up…*

😉

M3C

Opinvu
    • Markshire PCs:

Hehehe your sooo wrong. WA state is Home of Microsoft. Everything that happens there is reported, reviewed and rereported. I heard some insider stuff I am not at liberty to tell in a public forum like this. *eyes shift about scanning the shadows*

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

Yeah i’ve tried twice to upgrade to SP3, each time it asks me if I want to download it I say yes, and then never hear from it again. The computer does get fussy for a week or two … meh no biggie. Also, I use FF, you can find some great plugins for it.

SMR, problems with google? Is it over the china thing?

– mule

Monty
    Keymaster
    • Markshire PCs:

Hehehe your sooo wrong. WA state is Home of Microsoft.

See my previous note under “Home of the Beast”……

🙂

M3C

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

@mule wrote:

SMR, problems with google? Is it over the china thing?
    – mule

Yeah, I try to keep sensitive information away from the public eye, and Google appears to be at cross purposes to that. Hence, no gmail account.

Same thing with Yahoo, really. I try to stay away from my yahoo e-mail account as much as possible.

mule
    • Markshire PCs:

meh, well the key is to know that nothing you do on the internet is private. Your computer either if it’s hooked up to the net. I don’t begrudge them harvesting information to make sales to me through ads. Besides google has very unobtrusive ads. That may change but for now i’m not upset.

The Chinese thing, well I don’t like it but when they operate in those countries they are beholden to the laws that govern those countries. Welcome to a global world, doesn’t it suck people have different ideals than you?

– mule

s-m-r
    • Markshire PCs:

Yeah, that’s why I attempt to avoid them. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.